1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notice a few problems with this page?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Even more white space in that second one.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wow, what a major fuckup.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I have no idea how many of these (if any) made print, but this is the page you get on its Web site.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

A bigger question:
    Why is the Virginian-Pilot centerpiecing the NBA Finals right up against deadline with an AP story when they have a staff story on a Virginia guy winning his first NASCAR race, in the afternoon, with plenty of time to give it good treatment?
    Not only bad execution, very bad news judgment from a paper with a very good reputation.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good point. Is the Dallas-Miami Finals really dwarfing everything else in Virginia these days?

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Wow. Wonder if the Pilot will need new copy editors soon? And new writers, if some writers volunteer for desk duty? ;)
    (I'll say it myself... YOU'RE HIRED! :)

Good point on the NASCAR story. That would have been front and center for me. Screw the NBA.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Agreed that the race should have been the main story, but it is an AP story and not a staff story.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I sit corrected OD...misread the byline.
    Still a better CP for a Virgnia paper

9. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Are you all sure that this is the actual sports front that made it to print?

Find it pretty hard to believe that something like this could have actually made it out the door. Would have had to require a breakdown by a number of different people.

10. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Because it's the SPORTS section. They want to play up the competitions that actually involve, get this, athletic abilities. News judgment made perfect sense to me.

Also, how bad has it gotten that the Pilot is using AP for the NBA finals. Why aren't they staffing it?

11. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

::)

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

All right, douchebag...the last thing I am is a NASCAR fan. But if you don't think it takes athletic ability to drive those things for 3-to-4 hours at 200 mph you're an even bigger ass than I thought.
    If you had any clue, you'd also know NASCAR is very big in Va., so a "local" rookie winning is a damn big story.
    And why the hell would the Pilot --a 185-200K paper in a market that does not have a truly local  NBA franchise -- staff cover the NBA finals?

Please crawl back under the rock from which you emerged.

Draft saved Draft deleted