1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notice a few problems with this page?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Jun 12, 2006.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The blog promo should have been above the fold?

3. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I have a problem with the fact that the picture is an action shot of the losing team.

But that could just be me.

And, are there little Xs instead of numbers for the Mavs?

4. ondeadline

OK, try looking at the lede to the NBA story. Look at those XX point totals for the Mavs. How about the point totals for the Heat and the score, which look remarkably like those from Game 1. "Mavs draw first blood." Never mind it's a bad cliche, but I believe they "drew that blood" in Game 1.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Oops. I'd hate to be that designer/copy editor this morning. Yikes. I left x's in the index once and almost got canned. I'd hate to do something this bad.

6. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Looks like a couple of deskers are going to get a new one torn when they roll into the office in the next few hours. Let's hope it's just an early edition.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Looks like they took the template from Game 1 and forgot to update the score, extra info, headline, subhead and photo. Not to mention the dummy copy in the lead. Ouch!

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Too much white space, too.

9. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Probably doesn't help that the centerpiece cutline is cut off mid-sentence, either.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Are we sure this made it out of the building, and that a proof somehow wasn't accidentally posted on the Web site?

11. ondeadline

Yep, here's the Friday sports front:

[​IMG]

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm asking: are we sure that the first page actually left the building? Went to the press?

I could see where someone could easily PDF the wrong page -- at least that *could* happen at our shop.

Or someone could've made the changes, hit 'print' to sent it to the negative machine, but didn't save the changes in the document.

I know odds are it did leave the building, but weird things happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted