1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nothing Personal but ...I hope O'Brien Fails in NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Reading this thread it appears the Penn State players are smarter than many of the posters around here.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

He did? Must have missed that part.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

You might have missed the blue font as well.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

All I know is that if and when O'Brien leaves, he will not be held in disregard by Penn State people. They love him.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If there is one football program that I have zero sympathy for if a coach bolts, it's Penn State. The same place that enabled Paterno for 15 years as horrible things were happening on his watch.

F Penn State.

They're lucky that Bill O'Brien came there for two years and kept that program from turning into 1989 SMU.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Obviously, you didn't even bother to read what I've written on this thread before responding. If you had done so, you would realize I agree that the most, if not all, of the players know this type of thing is going to happen. That doesn't absolve the coach. I'm sorry, but if you give your word, that doesn't suddenly go away just because your circumstances change. I'm not saying O'Brien is the embodiment of evil or anything, but he certainly deserves some criticism if he fails to keep his word.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm, I thought there was an ultra-hardcore bunch of Shiite Paternoites who at first dug in their heels and threw everything they could at O'Brien simply because he was not JoePa or his hand-picked heir-apparent. (The bunch that continues to rail on that Paterno and Sandusky got railroaded.)

Although I suppose that bunch bit its tongues pretty quickly when O'Brien kept the program's head above water instead of the quick plunge into the abyss many had predicted.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The next coach in would be inoculated from that. O'Brien was that guy who followed the guy.

In fact, Penn State moving forward may be the next plum job to open up after Texas. They're the 800-pound gorilla in the Northeast. They can, and should, ask next year to get relief from the ridiculously-stringent NCAA sanctions. The corrupt old guard is long gone.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter. After what was done there, the university needs to serve the entire punishment. I don't understand how anybody could possibly see those penalties as "ridiculously stringent" given how obscene the behavior was that they enabled.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The ones suffering the punishment had fuck-all to do with Sandusky and Paterno and the cover-up. This is an age-old argument.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Penn State isn't serving the "entire punishment" of what was handed down last year. NCAA already relaxed scholarship restrictions.

O'Brien won everyone over in the first few weeks there. The Scott Paternos of the world remain bitter, but every sane person has moved on and is living life. And appreciating the job O'Brien has done.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Tough shit. that's life. We didn't give Enron employees $100,000 for life because they had the misfortune to work for mismanagement and corrupt nonsense. All this teaches kids is that if you whine like a baby enough eventually you get your way, which is becoming the norm in this country.

Draft saved Draft deleted