1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nothing Personal but ...I hope O'Brien Fails in NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Dec 27, 2013.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Why? Because supposedly he promised guys he recruited that he would be there for them if they committed to PSU, when PSU was toxic, and now less than two years later he's likely gone. Great, nice fraud on the players, have a nice life.

Yes I champion the NCAA players every turn I get, but that's because overwhelmingly the system is set up to exploit the players with very little protections for the players in place, and those in power, administrators and coaches, are wallowing in huge $$ while those who generate the NCAA $$$ get very little.

So when the latest example of the fraud surfaces I'm all for highlighting his fraud. I only hope others will do so in the national media.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You've been studying the NDJ thread-starting seminar, I see.

Omigod. Guy promises recruits he'll be there and he isn't. Never happened before, never happen again.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, the sanctions were also much, much worse than what he was led to believe they would be when he took over. I don't feel like he would be leaving them high and dry, I feel like he did a remarkable job keeping the program competitive and that's why he's being pursued.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Just because it happened before doesn't make it right.

Okay, just keep everything status quo because, you know, that's just the way its been.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm feeling the same about leaving the Podunk Shopping News. Shoulda stayed loyal and not worried about advancing my career.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why not start a thread when Brad Stevens went to the Celtics? Or (insert name here) went to (insert hundreds of different jobs here)?

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The neighboring plantation uses slaves, I'd be at a disadvantage not to, and it's legal. #1776-1863

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

#NCAA Inception to Foreseeable Future

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Most coaches go to a mid-major to show everyone what they can do. O'Brien went to a school facing the worst sanctions then probably SMU in the 1980s and he continued to win.

There are instances where I can understand why people might be mad. But the guy came in when he thought sanctions would be bad, had to sweat out whether Penn State was going to get the death penalty. He had some of his top players transferring out weeks before last season began and he went 8-4. He could have left after last year. That Browns job was his.

I can't fault him at all on this one. Plus, now that there is some distance between Penn State and the scandal, they might be able to get a Schiano or a Munchak or Al Golden or the Northwestern coach.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He has healed Penn State and now he need to move on to heal The Texans.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What qt is saying is that Penn State football will utterly fail without O'Brien.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Umm, whut?

Pat Fitzgerald is not leaving Northwestern anytime soon, and he's certainly not ever leaving for Penn State.

Draft saved Draft deleted