1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nothing much happened before 1877 anyway

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Feb 10, 2010.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Couldn't be ESPN. Then the course would only start at 1970, since, for example, nothing ever happened in NFL before the merger.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Shooting one's self in the foot remains a specialty in certain
    locales. Wish it were different.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The military history course I took in college pretty much stopped at the Yalu River.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

While we're at it, can we call a mulligan on 1929?

5. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Our history classes in the 1970s and '80s never seemed to get past World War II. No mention of the Korean War, 1950s America, the civil rights movement, the start of Vietnam ... Almost like they didn't exist, even though they had nearly just happened.

If nothing else, though, we got to see the end of Vietnam, the Watergate scandal and the Nixon resignation as they happened.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Someday, it will be interesting to see what they teach kids about the 1990s and 2000s ...

"Hey dad, have you ever heard of someone named Monica Lewinsky?"

"Why did we spend two decades in Iraq when a new terrorist nation was being built in Pakistan?"

"What were these paper pulp products that were delivered to homes each morning?"

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That's her defect and her failure.

Really a pathetic thing, being 'in' politics and not knowing that.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In my recollection of high school U.S. history, Reconstruction seems to drag on forever and then the class seems to fall apart like it's not sure what to say about last 100 years.

You just skim through the next 100 years like the class is on fast forward. World War II may take half a day.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

ESPN/North Carolina schools' Top 10 moments in American history! Sponsored by Coors Light! Stu Scott, bust it!

10. The 2009 bailout. Dollah, dollah bill, y'all!
    9. Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky do the nasty!
    8. Ross Perot pushes James Stockdale out of a moving car. Where are we? Where are we going? Classic American moment. Some say that's a SNL skit, but we say it happened.
    7. Desert Storm. The Middle East war we all liked. I'm saving all my love for that Whitney Houston Super Bowl clip, yo!
    6. U.S. condones torture. America's standing in the world was severely compromised by Abu Ghirab and ... hey, why are showing Carl Lewis singing the National Anthem at the Nets game? Or Chris Berman at Tampa Bay Bucs' training camp? Or Jim Rome and Jim Everett? Those clips are still funny!
    5. It's an A-bomb by A-merica! John Sterling, you have the floor. (Plays Sterling A-Rod home run clip) For those who watch this and say -- damn, that explosion was boss! -- understand that it also ended World War II as the Japs gave us our dap. The two bombs also killed 246,000 people, but none of them were Ichiro, so it's all good for you Mariners' fans out there! And no, this was not a token inclusion to represent the pre-ESPN era. We'd never do that. Never.
    4. The end of the Vietnam War. Some say we should have included the Civil Rights Act, but we don't have any kick-ass footage of that.
    3. Barack Obama is elected president. Much respect.
    2. George W. Bush's Mission Accomplished speech. One of the greatest d'ohs! ever is the second-greatest moment in U.S. history.
    1. Ronald Reagan says, "I cannot recall" when questioned in the Iran-Contra scandal. Showed how great Reagan was in that he ran our country at peak performance even when his mental capacities were limited. Kind of like Kobe Bryant playing with a high-ankle sprain. Pure. Nails.

Now back to Mike Golic and Merrill Hoge who will spend 10 minutes discussing the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' offensive line.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Awesome.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I get Bubs' humor - usually a highlight - but No. 7 wasn't too funny. Lots of folks at an air base in North Carolina, one located in my hometown no less, knew some of the GIs involved in the initial invasion of Desert Storm. My mother and I were part of the same group on the base's golf course only months before with a pilot who later went down in the opening flyover.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Dumb and dumber.

Draft saved Draft deleted