1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nothing Going On in Pittsburgh in the 9th

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Sep 28, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe once he figures it out, he can explain it to Bubbler.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Finally, a thread revolving around the Pirates and the Brewers!!! I hate to tell you OOP but you are really wrong on this one. The Brewers made two very wise baseball decisions. They improved the team when they lost Prince...their defense is much improved and their offense is just as good if not better. They signed a third baseman that hits for average and power and played a very good third base. They spent a small amount on a RF that bats leadoff and plays a solid outfield. They traded a good pitcher that was testing the FA market and got their SS of the future. They now have Fielder's money and Greinke's money to fill in the pieces for next year. They may or may not eventually win a championship but there is no doubt that they set themselves up to be relevent for the near future. Pittsburgh would kill to be in this position.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Aramis Ramirez is a good defensive third baseman? News to me.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm going to regret this, but OOP, what are these apoligists you speak of apoligizing for? Baesball seems to be doing as well as it ever has.

5. outofplace

And it could be doing better if it would address its flaws. So could the NFL. The difference is that I'm willing to point out both while the apologists can't stand to have anybody say anything negative about MLB, especially the way it stacks the deck for the big markets.

6. outofplace

Letting Fielder go was a financial move. Not being able to sign a quality third baseman until they lost Fielder was also a matter of financial restrictions. Two reasons that I'm absolutely right.

The Brewers are going to narrowly miss the playoffs after trading a quality starting pitcher in July. I've already explained Bubbler's false premise there. Go back and read it.

Your last comment proves you don't even understand my point. You act as if I was being critical of the Brewers' decisions. I wasn't. I was saying that they have to work around financial restrictions that some of the financial big boys don't have to.

Of course, that was just the argument that Bubbler started because I dared to mention money on a baseball thread.

My real point was that ownership is holding the Pirates back. That is clear no matter where you fall on the finances of baseball. The failure to authorize the search for any real help at the trade deadline is just the latest example. Yes, the Pirates would love to have ownership and management as good as what the Brewers have. Both teams have financial restrictions to deal with, but the Brewers do a much better job of handling it.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Oop, the owners you are crying for do not want your system.

What you want is a game of Monopoly and completely unrealistic with the way baseball revenues work.

I will never say money isn't an advantage, of course it is. It is in any sport capped or not, that will never change.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He's never been as bad as his reputation. "Good" is definitely overstating it, though he's having one of the "advanced" stathead fielding measures loves his defense this year, which is one of those stats that are mostly worthless and most smart statheads understand that.

9. outofplace

Who said I give a shit about the owners? I think it is insane to expect the owners in small markets to lose money every year if they want to compete with the major markets, but It's not them I give a damn about.

I want to see a level playing field. It's never going to be 100 percent, but the NFL is damn close and MLB is a long way away.

I want to see the perception of a level playing field. The NFL has that. MLB isn't even close.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

MLB is moving in that direction in the last decade, though.

11. outofplace

No argument there. It has definitely improved. Not enough, but it is significantly better than it was.

12. http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-pirates-should-ship-management-655259/

Draft saved Draft deleted