1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nothing About Les Moonves?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael_ Gee, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Nine. Digits.
    One. Hundred. Million. Big. Ones.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

She has been in a nasty battle with CBS for the better part of the last year, and even though things seemed to have quieted down, there have been rumors all week that she helped along the reporting on Moonves' behavior as a way to help herself in her legal battle.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The CBS board is meeting today to discuss the Moonves allegations.

I don't know what they will do, so this is just a guess, but I will bet on letting an investigation run its course. That way they can buy some time and ostensibly see if there are more recent allegations of harasment than the ones in the New Yorker article, which would force their hand. They probably see it as compounded by any role Sheri Redstone has had in this coming out now, if in fact she has played a role, so they are actually in kind of a tough spot because of this whole thing.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Rumors, or wild speculation, fueled by Moonves’ camp, that mostly faded away once the article was actually published?

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Let's say the CBS board closes ranks and just claims erroneous reporting. How much of a hit would they have to take for this to be a losing strategy? At what point would Moonves not be worth it to them?

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Stock is down $6 a share since the story broke

7. jr/shotglass

8. YankeeFan

Moonves is going to have to go.

By delaying it, and not even having him step aside during the investigation is a mistake.

When something is inevitable, it's best to take action immediately.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So well stated.

“So I don’t know what’s going to happen, but I do believe in accountability. And not just for politicians you disagree with,” Colbert continued. “Everybody believes in accountability until it’s their guy. And make no mistake, Les Moonves is my guy. He hired me to sit in this chair. He stood behind this show while we were struggling to find our voice. He gave us the time and the resources to succeed. And he has stood by us when people were mad at me. And I like working for him, but accountability is meaningless unless it’s for everybody. Whether it’s for the leader of a network or the leader of the free world.”

studthug12 likes this.
  10. jr/shotglass

11. YankeeFan

Is that it?

It's nice that he called for accountability, but unless he defines what accountability means, it's sort of worthless.

Does he think Moonves should be fired? Put on leave during the investigation?

Does he believe the women accusing Moonves?

And, what of the semi-coerced statements of support we've seen in this case, and in others, involving media execs? To me, those are disturbing as well.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Can I play Devil's Advocate for a second?

We don't know if Les Moonves is guilty or innocent. The story seems damning....Farrow is an incredible reporter.

Didn't watch the full segment, so don't know if any context is missing...but I read that and, boy, it seems that Colbert is awfully quick to give up on someone who backed him all the way. If Les Moonves "stood behind" my show "while we were struggling to find our voice," would I at least owe him due process? You don't need to throw dirt at Ronan Farrow or his accusers, you don't need to smear them in any way...but why not stand up and say, "Boy, this is really hard for me. I read the story and felt sick to my stomach, but this is someone who stood by me. I want to see this through?"

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted