1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notes on a Scandal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CentralIllinoisan, Feb 3, 2007.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Tremendous movie carried by the acting performances alone.

I've always felt Judi Dench earned her Academy Award nominations on reputation: Not this time. She is equal parts devious and heart-warming in this wonderful morality tale. Cate Blanchett is wonderful, as well, as is the painfully underrated Bill Nighy.

2. Hiro

Hiro Member

The little lady and I saw it tonight, also, and found it good. Dench did indeed carry the film, but I found the score to be VERY abrasive and not fitting the mood of the film ... really standing out in a bad way. Come to find out Philip Glass was Oscar nominated for it. The film was a 7, the score was a 4 and Dench was a solid 10 performance wise.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm pissed because it's only playing in the arthouse theater here which is located about 45 minutes from my home and is located in the hood...

I always vow to try to see everything that's nominated in the major categories (with occasional exceptions...) so this is definitely on my list...

Saw Smokin Aces the other day and liked it a lot more than I probably should have...

4. Franklin

Franklin Member

i didn't care for the kid's performance. i didn't find him at all believable. the three leads, tho--especially bill nighy--were fantastic.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Mizzou,

Smoking Aces sucked.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It definitely did not suck, but it fell in the guilty pleasure category... :)

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You are the first person I have read who has said that that movie was anything but anal leakage.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We're waiting breathlessly for the first CI Jr. movie poster!

Draft saved Draft deleted