1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Noted Climate Experts Shoot Holes In Gore Movie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 15, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Is there anyone who still believes that merit and talent alone are the only factors which figure into whether or not a movie gets Oscar play?

Anyone?

I thought so.

2. "Merit and talent alone"?
    No.
    Nothing "alone" is ever the "only factor" why anything happens.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Fen, the point I'm trying to make is that people advertise in Hollywood, begging for Oscar votes. That's not much in the way of "merit" or "talent." For Boom to act surprised that name recognition played a role in this film and its awards is to pretend like it's the first time that's ever happened in Tinsletown.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm sure this will go badly, since someone will say 'sure, you have to side with Boom...' Believe me, I do not...I just don't talk about it here. In this case, I saw the movie before he did, and I didn't tell him because I didn't want to discuss it until he saw it.

I love Al Gore. To me, this man is the only genuine light in the very dull and disappointing party that I have supported for my entire adult life. If the next race comes down to Hillary or Obama, I'm going to vote for a Republican for the first time ever.

I found the movie completely credible and informational....I learned a lot, and I take the message seriously. But...it was BORING. I felt like I was watching a filmstrip in jr high. This was a PBS special flying on the tailwind of Hollywood politics...not a big screen production. I wanted to be thrilled and riveted....I was just disappointed. Not by the message, but by the medium.

It's just me? Everyone else thought this was a fascinating presentation?

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was a great filmmaking achievement because a lot of the footage wasn't shot "for" the film.

But you can't argue with its reach.

I actually liked the Al Gore biographical stuff. I thought the parts about his son almost dying and his sister who died of lung cancer were well done.

Some of the shots looked stagy to me, like Al on the computer. That bugs me from a documentary standpoint... but I like Gore, too.

Good on you, Boom, for at least sitting down to watch it.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe it was designed to be neutral, devoid of the usual Hollywood gas.March of the Penguins was a fascinating documentry, this was not.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Well, good luck to the penguins if Al is right.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Speaking of docs, the Hot Docs film festival is about a month away. It's the largest documentary festival in North America

http://www.hotdocs.ca/default.aspx

We'll try and make it but this is one I'd like to see:

http://hotdocs.bside.com/?_view=_filmdetails&filmId=15410869

If you were a font, which one would you be? In this age of visual communication, font is critical in conveying messages and identities, but font as a social-cultural index, a measure of politics and design? Who knew?

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

9. Boom_70

I would think there would be better market for hot nurses film festival.

Actually font movie sounds interesting. It is true that different fonts convey different messages.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The medium is the message.

Lots of good stuff at the festival. I've already started to go through the programme to see what we might take in.

The festival has been going on since 1993 and manages to take advantage of the Toronto Film Festival's international rep.

You and 21 should come up. We'd take you out in our Prius. :)

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Here's the thing... My bet is Boom isn't Boom in real life, just as JR wasn't JR in real life. The two of you would probably get along great. I have talked to each of you about one thing in particular, I know you'd have common ground on. And I'm sure there's more. Boom, JR isn't totally humorless, and JR, my bet is the real Boom doesn't walk up to skinny women on the street and ask them when they contracted AIDs (although this would make me laugh coming from him, which makes me think there is something seriously wrong with me).

12. Boom_70

Well JR and I seem to have found common ground on interest in fonts. I am sure we would find other things as to agree on as well. Also sure we would have a lot to disagree on since I pretty much am who I am board or not. I spell bad in real life also.

Draft saved Draft deleted