1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Noted Climate Experts Shoot Holes In Gore Movie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 15, 2007.

1. That's some fine snark there, newb', but we're used to Boom and his interesting approach to syntax.
    One Leinie's, please.

2. paris trout

paris trout Member

How about a Tsingtao, and we'll call it a theme party.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just what the place needs-- another bitter snarky liberal.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I am not bitter.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Boom, I think there is a whole lot of hyperbole out there with regard to global warming and the thought police are trying to create an environment in which logical discussion gets shouted down by hysteria. But the warming trend we're seeing--dangerous or not--is almost definitely mostly being caused by human factors. The science backs that up. It correlates too well with industrialization and carbon emissions which we know creates a greenhouse effect.

6. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Boom's on permanent
    Sabbatical re matters
    Grammatical, no?

(I'm only serving Kirin draft.)

7. Boom_70

On what basis can you say that it is being caused by human factors? What are the factors?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Way too much for a message board post and I am not an expert. But I suggest you read up about the causes of greenhouse gases (CO2, methane, nitrous oxide) and their effects on the atmosphere (what is causing the warming). Since the industrial revolution (emissions of gases related to industry, transportation, agricultural fertilizers, etc.), the science has demonstrated pretty well that greenhouse gasses have increased significantly--by a third or more, with much of that increase occurring during the last 30 to 50 years. You have to put that into the context of tens of thousands of years in which those gas levels remained fairly constant. There is A LOT to it. But from some smart people with no political agenda, who know about this shit and have looked at all of the factors, you can say with very reasonable certainty that most of the cause and the effect has been man made. It's worth reading up about.

What you can't say with any certainty is what the consequences are. We actually don't know how much of an event or non-event the warming is, or whether the measures being advocated by some make any sense--whether they will have any effect or if the trend can even be reversed. Nor can you say from a cost-benefit perspective whether some of the measures being thrown out there make any sense. That is where there is a lot of hyperbole. But it's almost a certainty that what we're witnessing is a man-made phenomenon, whether we're in peril or not.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Keep your liberal snarkiness at bay everybody - Boom's one of our most likeable conservatives. The tone of banter with him should really be more jocular. This isn't hondo.

Boom, I'm mildly surprised at you. You haven't seen An Inconvenient Truth, have you? That's not like you. Normally if something's "hot" or "talked about," you check it out. You read the left-leaning New Yorker, for example.

If you'd seen the movie, you'd know the CO2 output thing is also a lot about electrical use.

Boom, do you know your carbon footprint? ;D

10. Boom_70

Luggy watched IT last evening. I found in painfully boring and hard to stay awake. Al Gore reminded me of some of the worst profs that I had in college. The one that you needed to have 3 cups of coffee to make it through class.

The only reason ths movie got so much publicity was due to Al Gore. I did find it surprising that he felt the need to make a political statement. It took a bit away from his message.

My carbon footprint is fine. I stopped using central air to offset the negative imnpact of my Hummer on the enviroment.

It's interesting that CO2 gas has become the lastest greatest enviromental issue. It seems to have replaced fuel consumption with the tree huggers.

11. No.
    It hasn't.
    Please continue.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No air conditioning but a Hummer, Boom?

That's like being a vegetarian who smokes. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted