1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notebooks. Which kind?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the_rookie, May 7, 2007.

1. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

Fat ones?
    Skinny ones?
    Short ones?
    Long ones?
    Wide ones?

Here's my choice: [​IMG]

It's like having two note pads on one page with the margin down the middle.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Stenos are definitely the way to go.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

I like steno pads the best, but I think they are getting harder to find because secretaries really don't take steno since every desk has had a personal computer.

4. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I take the Steno pads, but only because of their size. The best one I've had, though, was a Cambridge one with the same dimensions. It was about 200 pages thick and was great to write on because it made it so sturdy. Haven't found one since I bought it, though.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I don't report in the field anymore, but other reporters, when I was out West, hooked me on the smaller book type notebooks. One I have for office is a 5 x 7, but I've used a little bigger, too (9.5 x 6.375). I find flipping the pages sideways like a regular book more convenient than the old steno pads or reporter's notebooks or legal pads.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It always depended on what I was covering. Legal pads for basketball games because of the way I keep stats, reporters notebooks for soccer, volleyball, track b/c they fit in my hand and I could hold them while writing. Steno's for baseball/softball. I'm weird, I know.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If I'm covering a game, it's legal pad. I've got my own system for every sport designed with the legal pad in mind. In everything but football, I can get it all on one page. Anything else, I'm using stenos.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I use steno pads for BKB and FB, because that's where I keep play by play.... doesn't matter about the others, because it's just notes for the rest.
    I think Legal pads are too cumbersome but that's just me

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Does anyone know of a site where you can order reporters notebooks?

I actually saw a reporters notebook in a supermarket the other day. It was expensive, so I didn't buy it, but it got me remembeing how convenient those are. I typically use steno pads now or five-subject notepads (the smaller ones, not the giant school-sized ones), but those don't fit into the back pocket.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Seems like the SPJ site used to hawk them. Haven't visited there in a while ...

Slappy, the reason I use legal pads is early on I found i was spending a lot of time flipping back and forth for play-by-play stuff, and it was hurting me on deadline. It's less of an issue now because I'm a more practiced writer. Flipping back and forth is unavoidable with football, but I morphed that way out of time management necessity. Otherwise, yeah, the legal's kind of bulky, but it really comes down to what you're used to. I never did get comfortable with reporters notebooks.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not weird at all. I'm the same way. And I knew for soccer that I'd be safe grabbing the pad with about three pages left :)

12. chazp

chazp Active Member

I've been telling me how weird I am. We've all got our own way to cover, doesn't make you weird. I use preprinted forms I designed in Quark on a clipboard for Football, Baseball, Softball. reporters notebook for volleyball, track, soccer, basketball and wrestling. You're not weird, but me with preprinted forms, that's weird!

Draft saved Draft deleted