1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notebook Peekers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Jul 22, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Actually, I wear many hats. It was a city commission meeting. A bunch of folks marched down to city hall like they were ready to burn down Frankenstein's castle because they're jealous that the city administrator actually has an education and a commensurate salary. In other words, they think their taxes are high because the city administrator makes too much money. Never mind that their homes have tripled in value since 1990. That wouldn't have anything to do with the higher tax rates, would it?

By the way, this old shriveled lady was one of those who go through so much trouble to look younger that they appear to be an 18-year-old girl until you see their wrinkled, make-up smeared skin.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I once caught a competitor reading what I had on my laptop...

3. HeinekenMan

That's unbelievable. I had that happen at a few Arena games, except that it was some blogger rather than a true competing paper.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It happened to me too, and the guy discovered a note nobody else had -- until then. I don't know if he used it, but he certainly memorized it.

Oh, and I used to work for him. Maybe that's why he thought he could just take what he wanted.

5. Man, I want to go to the next meeting you cover.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Okay, just don't look over my shoulder.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Now THAT guy deserves a karate chop.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't know ... it almost seems like protecting your hand in poker. If you aren't careful enough to hide it, it's fair game for the guy to look. Nah, fuck that. Karate chop that fucker's head off! :)

Seriously, though, I do protect my notes or stories a bit to make sure no one else is looking to see what I've got.

9. boots

boots New Member

That's what you should have done. That would've ended the peeking. Done it many times and never lost a momen't sleep.

10. HeinekenMan

I've seen guys who put their screen down. It sort of makes me feel funny, as if maybe they think I'm an asshole they can't trust, or that they're just so damned wonderful they're sure that I'll steal their stuff instantly and try to pass off their genius as my own.

But I try to remind myself that maybe one out of four people might take a gander at their screen. So who can blame them for being cautious?

11. verbalkint

verbalkint Member

I'd handle that like this:

"(Something objectionable)," first guy said.
    "Write that down," second guy shouted to a reporter.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Guy I competed with was so horsebleep that I figured he put his screen down, whenever he walked away, out of embarrassment.

Generally, it's bush league to do that. It's like sitting at a red light, see a pedestrian standing there and clicking your doors locked, which the guy can hear. Like you assume he's going to come over and mug you. Uncool.

Draft saved Draft deleted