1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notebook Peekers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Heinie,

Be prepared next time. Have a page in your notebook prewritten, flip to it and turn to her with a maniacal grin:

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Dude, it's a little old lady. Why get upset?

It is not like the competition was glancing at your notes.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I laughed out loud at this. Nicely played, Ace.

Along those same lines, does anyone else ever get people reading over their shoulders on press row?

I can't stand that -- especially on deadline -- so I write with the screen on my laptop pushed down so low that I barely have enough room for my fingers to hit the keyboard. Co-workers laugh at me, but I find the alternative even more annoying.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

There's a radio guy here that does that when I'm on deadline a lot. Nice guy, but that annoys the piss out of me. One time he asked if it was ok, and I just asked him to wait until I got done.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Lift a cheek, fart loudly and say, "well, maybe the hot salsa on that burrito was the wrong choice."

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Well played.

7. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I was guilty of doing that a few years back, when I was volunteering for a team. I'd sit in the back row and write my PR stuff for the web site, but I'd glance at the screens of the veteran guys just to see how their thought processes worked and to see if they had any note-taking skills I could use later on.

Actually, turns out I learned quite a bit from these guys - likely without them knowing - but I certainly wasn't hovering over them or anything. That would drive me insane.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A simple, "You mind?" would probably work. That, or a donkey punch.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Re: Notebook Peakers

Naw, I think it's piquing.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

You never can tell...
    [​IMG]

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Heineken: You're a sports writer covering a "meeting" with chairs and old ladies milling about?

Just curious---what exactly was this?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

WNBA beat?

Draft saved Draft deleted