1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notebook crapped out, now what...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KP, Oct 2, 2006.

1. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

I just bought a Toshiba Qosmio ... love it. It's great for work AND entertainment.
    I did a lot of shopping around, read consumer reports and talked to a bunch of co-workers and most recommended Mac or Toshiba.
    They said Dell and Compaq are the most unreliable.
    Hope this helps. Good luck!

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I love my Macbook. I just came out of a PC shop after Macs at my first shop and school. I absolutely love working on Macs.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I note with little dismay that most of the Mac problems reported on this thread have to do with office machines. Most IT folks are much more comfortable networking and troubleshooting PCs and PC software than they are Macs, which leads to most of the problems being described. They will tell you this themselves. Take an IT out for a beer one night. Just one, though, they're wildmen. America uses Windows because it networks better machine to machine to machine. It doesn't run well on any of them, but it does run on all of them, which is integral to Microsoft's sales strategy. And makes their monopoly self-fulfilling.

That said, my office just gave me a Dell notebook, which I used once and returned. They're like toys. And Windows - XP, or XP Pro, whatever the latest bug-infested, virus-prone, 200-patch iteration - still sucks from a user standpoint. Balky, ugly, counter-intuitive, seven clicks where one will do, etc. But hey! Spider Solitaire!

I'm typing this on a 2001 Apple Powerbook G4 550. Replaced the hard drive over the summer, cost $129, but otherwise, not a hitch in 5 years. It's gotten plenty of knocks in that time, written and rewritten plenty of paragraphs, and travelled a couple hundred thousand miles by land, sea and air, too. I trust it with everything I do.

It's a beautiful, well-made machine. Great key-feel, nicely made cases, no loose connectors or card doors or switches.

I know that this thread recurs here month in and month out, and that Mac or PC we mostly all post the same things we always post.

It just seems to me that if this is the hammer you swing all day, then it should suit your hand and do the work it's made to do with some likelihood of lasting more than a year. Try a Mac, and see how it suits you. And check the Clearance tab on the Apple site. They've got good deals on refurbished stuff.

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I had an ancient Mac at the office, and I never had a problem with it in more than three years. Actually, I opened Quark about three times to find all of the text jumbled into a mess. I closed Quark and opened it again to find no problem.

The only office Macs that crashed were the few that were overloading the hard drive. And most Mac crashes don't require a restart, only a program restart.

I bought my iMac four years ago, and it has worked beautifully. I've never had a serious issue that couldn't be fixed by restarting a single program.

And forget about installing drivers if you have a Mac. There's no need. You can just plug in your device, whether it be a printer or a scanner (or a two-button mouse) and the computer does the rest.

I bought a used iBook six months ago, and it's never had a single issue, either.

For fun, I sometimes download the virus attachments that Microsoft users e-mail to me and laugh. Very few virus concerns with a Mac.

It's my understanding that the Mac folks have introduced Windows to the Mac world. I wouldn't put Windows on my Mac if it were a free download.

PCs are the McDonald's of computers. Eat steak. Get a Mac. You'll never go back to that Microsoft shit again.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

This about sums up my experience on a MAC.

6. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I am said colleague. Hard drive crashed after three years of perpetual, everyday use. It happens.

I bought a Macbook to fill the gap until my broken Powerbook 1.33 returned. Macbook is super fast. Now that my Powerbook is back, though, I use that. I just prefer it for the keys and the screen size and the fact that it's been with me to some really neat places. There's a respect there. A love, really.

The Macbook (white, 1.83 intel) is for sale, btw. It's yours for $1,000 shipped ... provided you live in USA.

Draft saved Draft deleted