1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not your typical opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Chef, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Man, last summer I'd have been all over this. I think it could be a fun job for someone who really likes talking sports and is young enough to go on an adventure.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

There's a western 1/4 of Kansas?

3. somewriter

somewriter Member

I heard Don Imus is available.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

is saying fuck or cocksucker on the air out of the question?

5. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

Yea I agree with you...I applied and they responded and asked if I knew where Kansas was and if I could make the move from Tallahassee to a place like Garden City...

But I have no family, and talking sports is what I live for...if offered the job, id make the move without thinking...

Its not like Id be moving here for good.

6. billikens

billikens Member

I don't know much about the job or the station, but this could be a blast. I worked at a small town kansas newspaper, comparable to Garden City, and during my final year there, added a part-time job as a sports talk-show radio host. Now, I imagine there would be much more work involved with this job, but if radio is your thing, this would be a great place to start. There's little to no competition and the people, at least where I was, really, really enjoyed the local aspect. While it's hard for me to regret leaving, if there was one thing I do miss, it's the radio show. If this job was open two years ago, I'd be applying.

It's like anything else in small-town Kansas. There's not a whole lot going on, but it also doesn't take much to be a small-town celeberity. And if you do a good job, there are people who will notice and opportunities to move on (and up).

7. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

[​IMG]

I know just the guy for the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted