1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not too big for the phone book.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Another thread had a mention of Joe Paterno having a listed phone number. Sure enough, according to Google:

Joseph V Paterno (814) 238-0813 830 Mckee St, State College, PA 16803 Map

It reminded me that I'd once stumbled over Marv Levy's information. (It's not online now, for whatever reason, but I did a drive-by last time I was in Williamsburg, Va.).

Just curious who else in the sporting world has all of their information out there that you'd think wouldn't.

2. Over/under on number of phone calls Paterno gets today?

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Could you imagine the response if someone actually called him and asked a football-related question?

:eek:

4. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

I've met him a couple of times (visiting media for a PSU home game) at those Friday night pressers that used to be routine. I found him to be among the most engaging people I've ever met.

If you called him at home with a legitimate question, my guess is he'd try to help you out. Maybe I'm naive and I'm sure the local beat guys have different tales to tale, but I think very highly of the man's integrity.

He's a throwback to another generation when there was no reason to keep your home number and address out of the phone book. And since it's still there, he must not have been burned by it too badly all these years.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

The new phone book's here! ... I'm somebody now.

6. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

ColbertNation meet Navin Johnson.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That was awesome.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

not until someone starts shooting at him in front of a gas station.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The past, and the current, AD of the the university in Microville have listed phone numbers.

But I also expect they have caller ID.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

He hates these cans!

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I suspect he also has a private unlisted line, and that's the one that usually gets answered, not the other line. (I don't know that for a fact.)

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Nope. I can tell you that is the only line in his house.

Draft saved Draft deleted