1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

not the same Auld Lang Syne: RIP Dan Fogelberg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Dec 16, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I've done the sample thing on his stuff, the ones listed in his obit as his most famous. Never heard them.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Two of my favorite songs that weren't hits (the videos were done by a YouTube user, not Fogelberg, but the songs are Fogelberg's and are best enjoyed without watching the videos, in my opinion):

The latter is probably my favorite. I think he dedicated it to Walt Disney, Don Quixote and the Wizard of Oz.

Scarecrow's Dream

Seldom seen
    a scarecrow's dream
    I
    hang in the hopes of replacement
    Castles tall, I built them all
    But I dream that I'm trapped in the basement
    And if you ever hear me calling out
    And if you've been by paupers crowned
    Between the worlds of men and make-believe I can be found

Plans I've made
    A masquerade
    fading in fear of the coming day
    Heroes' tales, like nightingales,
    Wrestle the wind as they run away
    And if you ever hear them calling out

Garden gate
    An empty plate
    waiting for someone to come and fill
    Scarecrows' dreams, like frozen streams,
    Thirst for the thaw but they're running still
    And if you ever hear them calling out

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

My first instinct is to make a joke about kids these days with their Hula Hoops, their Dan Fogelberg and their Pac-Man video games, but that would be borderline inappropriate.

RIP Dan; I wasn't a huge fan, but I'm sad to see you go so young, nonetheless.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My favorite Fogelberg album was his bluegrass album "High Country Snows." His greatest hits album is pretty good. Though not as well known, his uptempo stuff is pretty solid. Thoughts and prayers. And now for a word from Denis Leary. And from what I've heard, Fogelberg enjoyed the line.
    "Does that mean I can sue Dan Fogelberg for making me into a pussy in the mid-seventies? Is that possible? "Your honor, between him and James Taylor, I didn't have oral sex until I was thirty-one years old. I was in Colorado, wearing hiking boots and eating granola. I want some money right now."

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Damn, this is really disturbing news.

IJAG, I'm sure you've heard some of his stuff. Maybe "Longer," or "Run for the Roses," or "Hard to Say."

Phoenix and The Innocent Age were two fantastic albums that will always be part of me.

His Windows and Walls album also had some really good stuff on it, including a song called "Tucson, Arizona (Gazette)" where the lyrics were printed kind of like a news story with the dateline of Tucson.

Great singer/songwriters are too few.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

These days, the industry doesn't think singer/songwriters can sell. That's why the guy who IS Five For Fighting went with the name Five For Fighting.

Cause, you know, there can never be another Billy Joel or Elton John or James Taylor or Jackson Browne or Dan Fogelberg. ::)

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Obviously, the "industry" has outsmarted itself.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, yeah.

buncha no-wits ruining the industry.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Then explain to me the bullshit that is John Mayer?

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

The great thing about the interWebs age is that you're still able to find great music out there if you really want to... :)

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It wasn't cool to like him ... but I did. A fine musician.

RIP.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I was about to say the same thing, as I listen to a bunch of mp3s downloaded from various music blogs. Plenty of shit out there, but lots of good stuff, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted