1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

not the same Auld Lang Syne: RIP Dan Fogelberg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Dec 16, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Yikes, I remember that thread. I did not date him...met him at a charity ski event for Special Olympics, and hung out with him occasionally, a long time ago. A genuinely lovely guy, very warm and down-to-earth. Very sad news...he has been ill for quite a while.

RIP. :'(

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Sorry... I could have sworn you said you dated. :-[

3. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

I'd be willing to bet that if you listened to radio regularly between 1980 and 1989, even if you don't recognize titles, you heard at least one of his songs at least once. I didn't know I had ever heard a Vince Gill song until someone pointed out that he was the lead singer for Pure Prairie League at one time when they had a modest hit he sang lead on.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

"Amie." Awesome song. Haven't thought about that one in years. Man's got a tremendous voice.

5. I thought Vince Gill sang lead on "Let Me Love You Tonight," not "Amie."

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I don't think he was in the band for "Amie." He did sing "Let Me Love You Tonight," though.

Edit: Ah, Lyman beat me to it.

Big Dan Fogelberg fan here. Yes, I admit it. I learned almost all of his songs on guitar and saw a few of his concerts. I liked his musical versatility (he played a lot of instruments) and his artistry -- in song, on canvas and in other media.

Mostly I liked his lyrics. I took a lot of guff for being a fan -- a friend always called him "The Leader of the Bland" just to get me riled up -- but I remain a fan.

RIP, and thanks for all the songs.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

According to Wiki, Vince Gill recorded an updated version of "Amie" for PPL's greatest hits album. That's the version I've heard pretty much all my life.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I think someone else said it...there was an old thread here about his worsening health, and it got silly.

Ijag, I am positive if you heard some of his songs, you'd know his stuff.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

That is sad and unexpected news in our corner of the world.

One of his songs, Part of the Plan was on our wedding CD.

Saw him once in 1976-77 or so.

RIP

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Hmm. I did not know that and don't think I've heard that version. I'll have to check it out.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I really like Amie (and Falling in and Out of Love). And Gill was a backup singer for the PPL on those songs.

I wasn't a big fan of Fogelberg. My favorite of his by a mile was Power of Gold (with Tim Weisberg in a Loggins-Messina/Michael-Ridgely type partnership). Quench the Fire was a decent, tho not impassioned song for solar energy/against nuculur energy). Part of the Chicago metro area's rock/pop heyday. RIP.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Same here, Patchs. Actually, I've got one better. One of my uncles complied about 20 of his best tracks. I was fortunate enough to get one of the copies.

I wish I had brought it with me where I am tonight.

RIP Dan and Keep Pounding ...

Draft saved Draft deleted