1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not the kind of clip you want in your portfolio

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FireJimTressel.com, Feb 9, 2007.

1. e4

e4 Member

This kid failed miserably in his attempt to be satirical; this will stay with him throughout his career because we're in the Internet age, but hopefully the lesson learned does as well.

BUT... A GENERAL QUESTION...

I realize delivery, the platform and the "messenger" are everything in satire, but I don't understand why people abhore the thought of a rape joke in this context -- saying it's a topic that should always be off-limits -- but don't bat an eyelash when Sarah Silverman makes a rape joke, as she did on The Aristocrats.

Of course, the point of the Aristocrats is to be over the top. But still, where was the outrage for rape victims then?

Just a tangential thought.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Because Sarah Silverman is hot. Duh.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I think it has more to do with the PC double-standard. Black people can say the N-word, gay people can call each other a faggot, white people can refer to each other as a redneck. I think it's possibly just another one of those double standards.

4. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

It's time to move on. Don't you people know Anna Nicole died and an astronaut wore a diaper so she didn't have to stop to pee? (But somehow the media never mentioned she didn't have a car that could go 900 miles w/o stopping for gas).

Like I said before, it's all context and intent. Timing does matter - if not tell me if anyone has thrown a fit when this tired joke surfaces "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln how was the play?"

That's a joke about murder. A murder of a President at that? Will it be okay to joke about the Duke rapists drunk partiers in 200 years? Or has anyone here already heard one?

What does NASA stand for? If you can answer that one from 1986 you know that there is no off-limits for satire. That joke surfaced less than a month after the Challenger tragedy.

Draft saved Draft deleted