1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not the best choice in cutline description

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 24, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well ... uh ... here. From your Vancouver Sun.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-sun-s-jordan-subban-photo-caption-sparks-outrage-1.2776325?cmp=fbtl&utm_content=buffer071c4&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Ought to get someone canned. Someone had to type in those words

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

is he related to PK Subban?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Younger brother, one of three in family playing hockey.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Had to look: Same photo moved on AP, but without "dark guy" description.

6. jr/shotglass

Hmm. Just looked it up. And the cutline in the Sun is completely rewritten from what CP sent. Which leaves us with ... ?

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Read that the Sun said it was a photog who wrote it and it ran online. Did it run in print. This is a fireable offense and it's going to take 300 Mount Everests of evidence to move me off that.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You tell 'em, Marshall Dillon.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Seriously? It's not like the cutline writer used the N-word or some other slur. Not saying it wasn't a stupid thing to do, but the apology should suffice.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I say if your work puts the newspaper in a position to have to apologize, that's a pretty good argument toward "fireable offense."

11. jr/shotglass

That's the way I look at it. You don't automatically throw away anything that employee might do for you in the future over one stupid moment.

Scare the shit out of them. Threaten the loss of employment. Hell, give them a three-week suspension. But everybody wants to push the button ... now.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My guess it was a photographer who wrote the cutline and then loaded the photo into an online gallery. There used to be a copy editor between such gaffes getting through into publication, but we all know what happened to copy editors.

Draft saved Draft deleted