1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

... not that there's anything wrong with that

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Oct 10, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Seeing as how I have taken to sharing the mundane, but silly details of my life with this board...

I had to be in Chelsea a little while ago. It's a neighborhood in Manhattan that I'd describe as "gay friendly." It isn't a gay neighborhood, but there are a lot of gay men who live in the neighborhood. It's a little bit of a haven. It's not the neighborhood couples settle down in cause there are lots of kids and great schools.

So I got off the subway and I was with a clump of probably 10 to 15 other men as I walked up the stairs to the street. There was a guy standing by the subway entrance with a table and he immediately honed in on me--let the other men walk on by.

"Hi. Would you please answer some questions to help us better serve our constituents at the Gay Men's something-or-other coalition."

"I'm not gay."

"Oh. Sorry. Have a nice day."

I walk two more blocks. There's another guy standing by a table. This guy looks like he stepped right out of the cast of Queer Eye For the Straight Guy, except with a harder NY edge to him. Takes one look at me, walks over, introduces himself and says, "Would you like to fill out a survey to see if you are a eligible for a confidential research study for gay men."

"I'm not gay."

"Oh. Well, here is a card, in case you have any gay friends." He then smiled and pointed toward his table. "And please, help yourself to some candy and condoms."

I just got home, sat down and pulled out the card he gave me. On the front is a photo of two guys in low, ambient light, groping each other. The tagline says, "like to party?"

On the back of the card is a series of other questions. In big print: "Hard partier?" "Into guys?"

In smaller print, questions such as, "Are you a man who has sex with other men? ... and a phone number to call.

So on that note, have at me fellas (not literally)...

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Maybe you ought rethink the Danish chick . . . at least, you know, as a beard or something.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sounds like you've solved your problem from the other night, just in case the Danish goes bad or the shrew doesn't want to compromise her "standards" ... not that there's anything wrong with that either...

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There's a Chelsea up here, too. Couple punk teens from there killed married Dartmouth professors a few years ago.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Actually, a small part of me is regretting not having helped myself to some candy and condoms... Just so I could say I did.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Take it to work for show and tell....

7. Ragu --
    I'd say your life has gone from 0 to 60 interesting-wise in about two weeks.
    I love New York.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I've shared a room with you and I'm still not sure you're not gay. I have to decide whose story to believe: yours or Pete's.

:D

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Lemme, guess. He was wearing that nightgown thing he had on in his sig pic.

I'd have to guess, based on the people that stalk him on this site, that certain dudes dig Ragu.

10. lono

lono Active Member

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I've never been approached for a gay market study on the street. My suggestion, Ragu, is to drag a few small children around with you.

Unless you're a GOP congressman or dressed like Gary Glitter, no one will suspect you of being anything but straight. And the Dutch chicks will leave you alone, too.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

This is just a guess, but I'm thinking they don't do a lot of gay surveys in SLC or southern Idaho. I could be wrong, of course.

Draft saved Draft deleted