1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not sure where to put it...but a story that must be read...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This was sent to me today...hold on to something.

http://www.livewellnebraska.com/article/20101219/LIVEWELL01/712199885/-1#loving-wyatt-to-the-end

2. ARose17

ARose17 Member

Absolutely heartbreaking.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That's devastating. Right as I got to the end, I heard my 10-month-old start coughing on the monitor. I really want him to wake himself up so I can go hold him.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Wow. The last third of that story is a gut punch.

5. jlee

jlee Active Member

Just read this. I was going to show my girlfriend, but I just can't. She would be too upset.

Very powerful, sad story. Very well-written and respectful.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

wow. That's more than a gut punch.

Prayers to that family. I can't even imagine.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Really heartbreaking. Great job by the author not overwriting it. It would have been easy to do so. The emotions and struggles of the parents were enough to carry the story, and no more was needed.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You know, I agree that the bulk of the story was well-written, but the lead really threw me off. In a way, too straight-forward and matter-of-fact, focusing a little too much on the disease and broader issues before grabbing you with the heart-wrenching stuff.

9. jlee

jlee Active Member

You know, that's why I liked it. It focused on a broader issue that many of us don't know about, a disease that takes more children under 2 than any other, and added emotion to it with a personal story. To me, that made its tone more purpose-driven and less exploitative of its subjects than many tragic news stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted