1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not sure what to think about this (New Dodgers broadcast strategy)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Good Doctor, May 20, 2009.

1. L.A. Dodgers are starting up a broadcast geared toward women with little or no knowledge of baseball.

http://deadspin.com/5263220/some-chick-to-teach-other-broads-about-man-things

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good. Will give Susyn Waldman something to listen to.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Maybe it's just me, but if I were hiring someone who was supposed to know something, Zelasko wouldn't be my choice.

This shit always kills me. Those "Football 101" courses for giggling wives? Just insulting.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A few years ago ESPN tailored some hockey broadcasts toward people who didn't know the game, and I thought they were very good. But they weren't so patronizing as to label them "hockey games for chicks" or some such hoo-hah.

I attended a baseball game last month with my British-born brother-in-law, he didn't have a clue what was going on. In fact, my sister taught him.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Knowing too many women who know more about sports than most guys -- including many friends on this board -- I find the label to be quite patronizing.

I don't have a problem with the idea, as long as it's not the only broadcast available to all listeners (last thing someone like me wants from a baseball announcer is missing pitches because you're explaining the infield fly rule for the 6th time ::).

But market it to beginners of the game, not specifically to women. That's insulting.

7. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'm trying to decide if Jamie Little or Jeanne Zelasko is the worst pit road reporter in NASCAR history.

It's a close battle.

I caught the end of a Nationwide race a few weeks ago, and it appeared Jack Roush was screaming at Little. That tells you all you need to know about her.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Jack's an asshole, No. 1. He was pissed because something just went wrong with Kenseth (I think...maybe Edwards?) and she had the temerity to ask him about it. How dare she! But he was trying to communicate with the driver, so he snapped at Jamie.

I don't think it was the right time to try to talk to him, but that's the deal. You agree to have a pit reporter on your stand, you're going to have to deal with that.

Not her fault.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In limited dealings with Jamie I've found her to be very friendly and a hard worker in what is often a pretty thankless job -- like when crotchety owners bark at you.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Good point. It might good for a father and young, beginner son to sit and listen to.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's a natural progression for a team whose star has just been found using female hormones at PEDs.

KNowing this LA market as well as I do, I think the Doyers would be better off tailoring a broadcast to Viet Namese and South Asians.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Don't you have your own board, Doc?

Draft saved Draft deleted