1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not sure if I should use a few quotes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by smsu_scribe, Nov 16, 2008.

1. smsu_scribe

smsu_scribe Guest

I'm a freshman sportswriter for my college paper, and I'm on the women's basketball beat this winter. I just covered my first game, and interviewed a point guard who is 5'5" and doesn't shoot much, but is an exceptional passer. She had 7 assists in the game, and I asked her about her role as more of a passer than scorer. She responded, “I love to pass, and my coach yells at me every single day about how I need to shoot some more. So, on my part, I love to pass.”

Now, obviously that's not at all slander. But I already used a quote from her stating that he "harps all the time" about pushing the tempo on offense. This being my first game of many to come, I just don't want to get a bad reputation with the coach for making him out to be a hothead, which he really isn't. I like the quote, but what do you think? Is it OK to print, since I already used her quote about "harping"? Thanks all.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes. She said it. Use it.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

coaches get on players all the time for not shooting/passing enough.. don't fret it...

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't thinkthe quote is bad. Also, you may be taking the part about the coach yelling at the player out of context. It could be a figure of speech and is perfectly harmless. I think you are OK to use it. Have fun and good luck.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I cannot see a coach getting mad at either of those quotes.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

And if he does, he's got a set of rabbit ears that would make Bugs Bunny jealous.

Not only would I use it, I'd follow up on it with the coach. Why does he want her to shoot more? Will it help pull defenders away from the other players, opening up the offense? Does he think she's a good shooter, but is passing instead because she's not confident in her shot?

He has a reason for telling her that. Find it.

7. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Absolutely use it. And, as psuedo says, follow up with the coach. Get his reaction to what she said.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Not a problem using it. In fact, and it's not a knock, I couldn't even initially figure out what you were asking until you explained it.

I'm sure he'll agree that he yells at her for not shooting the ball more.

Draft saved Draft deleted