1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not since Ali unmasked Foreman in Zaire...Telander knocks out Mariotti

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You are such a gerbil, shot.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

As a 17th-order Gerbil, I take great offense.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I have never, ever in my life, watched PTI.

Maybe I will today.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The way Ukraine vs. Switzerland is going, you may not.

5. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Sure, Mariotti's part of the story, just as the NYT's Adam Clymer was part of the story when Bush (or Cheney?) called him a "major league asshole" and the words were heard on an open mike.....except more so in this case, because Guillen desperately wanted to be heard and heard at full volume.....if I were only an occasional reader of the Sun-Times and Tribune, I'd have liked more background on the Guillen-Mariotti relationship, or at least a fat graf of summary rather than just play-by-play....  

Overboard? Not here. It's what the board's for, isn't it? And, as someone said, the national story isn't really Mariotti, it's the "fag" reference.

6. greenie

greenie Member

You have jetlag and hemorrhoids from too many road trips and bad airline food?
    Man, I hope I'm never scrutinized that closely.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I apologize if this was discussed elsewhere, but I havene't seen it:

Telander mentions that Mariotti called Frank Thomas, "The Big Skirt"; and Hawkins, "LaToya".

So Mariotti has no problems questioning the maleness, or lack thereof, of athletes.... But is offended when he is called a "fag"?

How hypocritical. It's one and the same (to me), and I love how Telander brings up this point.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It is hypocritical. That comes with the territory of wanting to rip but not being able to take getting ripped.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I can't help but think that in a perfect world, Mariotti would be made to trade places with Moss and Frescoe. The Royals would revoke his credentials, and he'd be happy, because he wasn't going to the ballpark anyway. And Moss and Frescoe would go to games, and they'd be happy, because they could ask all the tough questions they want. And the White Sox would be happy, because they could face their critics.

There, I fixed it. Whaddya think?

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Telander is accurate about Marriotti's calling people names. He once called Mark Prior and Kerry Wood "Blue Cross and Blue Shield", which was somewhat funny the first time. Since then, he's used it a few thousand times.

His act is old. This act is getting old.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I dunno. Would Moss and Frescoe write columns?

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Back to the col: Great, written with subtle mastery. Not so much Ali-Foreman to me as Ali-Liston II in Lewiston, Maine. Cosell: "Did you see the punch?"
    Jay never knew what hit him. (But 21 said it better.)

Draft saved Draft deleted