1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not since Ali unmasked Foreman in Zaire...Telander knocks out Mariotti

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Telander makes the point that he goes. The answer to his hypothecial isn't hard to imagine.

And I would assume this was scrubbed with bleach before it hit the newstands.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Whether Rick did it or his editors did it, it's "intellectual restraint." And I don't like that. If you don't want to say what you want to say ... don't sit down at the desk.

3. give me a break.... the guy wrote the column after spending the day in ken williams' office and out at the park.... telander's actions speak for themself.... only an idiot doesn't understand where he stands on the issue. and you can't waste a column trying to explain things to an idiot.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't expect a response to this, because you're a bit petulant when it comes to me these days.

But you've got professionals in here who are questioning the tone, and you dismiss them as idiots. Makes one wonder how much of the general readership you consider to be idiots.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

It's stunning that anyone could read that column and be underwhelmed.

There is no greater art than the ability to leave someone with bullet holes all over their good suit, but they don't realize it until you're fifty miles away.

6. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I'd be curious how far up the food chain this went last night, if anything was changed/toned down and whether Jay got a preview of it last night or when he was eating his Fruit Loops this morning.

It's clear there's a lot of hate on the staff just among the columnists of Mariotti. And at what point does the SE and/or the Sun-Times say enough is enough with the back and forth among their own. Does Mariotti get another response or will they just let it die already?

That said, I'm with JW, Telander knocked him out.

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Exactly right. As Whitlock pointed out, even Stevie Wonder could see it.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It says a lot to me that the ST editors are willing to let their columnists keep this going and going,...
    It smacks of "they can't get rid of him, but feel free to quit at any time..."

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Which "him" would that be?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Daddy's little Munster

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hell, they may be more pissed that their other guys are picking on him.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Perhaps, but that's also when you say enough is enough and stop writing on it.
    They haven't.

Draft saved Draft deleted