1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not really funny because it is true

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 10, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Because banks, cars and Wall Street aren't going away in the next decade?

2. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

Wow. It's sad and true, yes, but man if it isn't offensive.

People just won't understand until it's too damn late.

3. rascalface

rascalface Member

The Daily Show "aged news" bit about the NYT was at least funny.

Being laid off, desperate and scared shitless about your future isn't a fun time. Trust me, I know from experience. It's absolutely devastating, wondering how in the hell you're going to buy groceries, let alone pay the rent, once your savings account runs dry. That is real. That is pain. And sadly it's something an ever-increasing number of people around here are dealing with.

Still, I believe there is humor in just about everything. This failed miserably at finding any.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Bzzzzzzzz. Incorrect answer/assumption....

And why do people think that? Well, because, um, $450 billion and counting...
    And that doesn't count -- the yet totaled -- tens-of-thousands of FDIC insured accounts that were paid when the banks did fail.

Why don't you peruse this FDIC list. It's six pages deep. It's sobering.

http://www.fdic.gov/bank/individual/failed/banklist.html

Where's their fucking video?

Or Lehman Bros.? Or Bear Sterns? Or Goldman Sachs? Or, AIG?

And, don't even get me started on the auto industry.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I am right there with you in your sentiments, fishwrapper.

People do not understand, or care about, the value of newspapers because they've been so very fortunate and privileged to have them. Now, they are being taken for granted.

And, countering jfs1000's point, I'd contend that, in comparison to many other businesses, there really are very few truly arrogant people in journalism. Especially these days.

We get into this business because we care about it and its mission -- there are/were some ingrained principles, ethics and higher purposes involved that make that a given -- and not because it's "a job," in the way that something involving cars, or banks/money is.

6. Bears00

Bears00 Member

Um, not funny. And not because it's true. It's just not funny.

7. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I liked it.

8. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Thin line between comedy and tragedy, and the closer you get to the bone, the more powerful the humor. I'm in the same boat as far as freaking out about my future. I have no idea what my life will be like when the Unemployment Train dumps me on the tracks. Might just be a Jewish thing, but I've always believed in laughing at my troubles. Sometimes that's all you can do. Maybe gives me a sense of ownership or control. I've probably used up my psychobabble quota for the day, so for all of us anguishing over what the video's joking about, let's stay strong!

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

F'n brutal.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I thought it was funny as hell.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If that was funny, then cancer is absolutely hilarious.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Maybe someone should make a two-minute video that gives her suggestions how to dress up those man-shoulders?

That video was done in poor, poor taste.

Draft saved Draft deleted