1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not just useless, obsolete

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Aug 31, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

mike311gd

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

8-tracks; Topps gum; AM Radio; Lawn darts; television turn knobs; headlight dimmers on the car floor; atari; good cracker jack toys; ford thunderbird; Cadillac Eldorado; commemorative glasses (Like Mcdonald's Christmas glasses); green stamps; easy open packages; instant print cameras, film cameras; aluminum TV dinner trays; shampoo in a tube; Sugar Smacks; Eastern airlines; UPN; Mike Piazza

3. I actually listen to AM radio (local sports talk and ESPN) more than FM nowadays. It's also the local NPR station, I believe.

I'd say AM is stagnant but steady with FM more in danger of becoming obsolete in light of mp3 players and sat radio.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hunter Thompson's mojo machine.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Wait a minute....

When you say "Topps gum," I assume you mean gum packaged with cards. Stand-alone product Bazooka is still rotting the teeth of young America. Commemoritive glasses will be around forever. Easy-open packages?

Some AM radio stations are still No. 1 in their respective markets. WFAN is traditionally one of the best-billing stations in the country. So is WCBS-AM.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Not in my neighbourhood.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

belo's great boondoggle, the cue cat. ;D

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

--Turntables (except as rap instruments)
    --Green Stamps
    --Dial-up modems
    --Desktop computers in another 10 years?

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

They've got the best gum.

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

You people sure are defensive of your AM radio!!!! Where's the defense of Mike Piazza?

And yes, I was refering to the gum in baseball cards, which was not bazooka. It was cheaply made crap.

And easy open packages. As in buying some random thing (lets say a computer cable) that comes in a piece of plastic that has been welded together where the average human being needs a industrial strength pair of siccors or a good steak knife to open it up.
    Old packages had semi peforation where all you had to do was pull apart. Easy open.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Wite out.
    Phone books.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They'll have to pry AM radio out of my cold, dead hands.

Draft saved Draft deleted