1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not just good, Sonic good.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, May 22, 2008.

1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I used to tip because I didn't know what to do. Luckily, the one near my house has a drive thru, so I avoid that whole thing completely. However, even at the drive thru, they've tried to short me a dime or whatever if that's the only change I had coming. Uhhh...sorry. Gimme my fucking dime.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Never had the food there. But had one of their shakes or flurries or whatever they call the Dairy Queen like Blizzards when I was in Texas awhile back.

Those were damn good.

One just opened up here (so mustang must be around my area). I still think I'll wait for the buzz to die down before I venture there.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I could put ketchup on almost anything.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've done some more research and owners of a Sonic must pay 5.9% of their planned out costs for advertising. But in this instance, this new Sonic that has opened (with fourteen more planned by the same owner) has basically had free advertising for the last five years. This already rich business owner is going to make a killing.

And for the record, I am not anything like Gilbert Grape's Mom, however, after starting a thread about a fast food joint I have never eaten at, I can see where you are coming from IJAG.

5. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Sonic Blast. Mmmm. I've been working on losing weight, but I treated myself to my first Oreo Sonic Blast the other night. Split it up over four nights. God was it good.

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

This happened to me once on an NFL Sunday in between games at the drive-thru:

"...Hi, thank you for choosing Kentucky Fried Chicken, can I help you?"

WCV: "Yes, I'd like a 14-piece bucket, all-white, with large sides of slaw and beans."

"...That's a 14-piece all-white, with slaw and beans..."

"Right."

Five seconds of silence.

"Um, sir, we're out of chicken."

"You're shitting me."

"No, we're out."

"Nothing frying? I...I...can wait."

"We don't got no chicken, period, sir. No breasts, wings or gizzards-nuthin'."

"Now wait a second-you're Kentucky Fried Fucking Chicken-you're not supposed to run out of chicken! Why are you even open if you don't have any chicken?!?"

"We still got cole slaw an' Kentucky Fries if you wanna get some of those."

"No..."

"Well maybe you can go to Popeye's or somethin'...I bet they gots some chicken over there."

7. Dedo

Dedo Member

Pandemonium over a Sonic opening? Really? That absolutely blows my mind. Who would have thunk it back in the 1960s, 70s, 80s and even 90s, when thousands of kids in hundreds of small towns were hanging out at the local Sonic (on the cool side, not the other side, lest rumors start spreading), dreaming about the days when they'd be able to escape this godforsaken, dust-ridden place and move to a big city where they had some real culture, like McDonald's and Burger King.

I guess I've just taken Sonic for granted my whole life. Free Cokes for kids in uniform after Little League games, Brown-Bag Specials to go for everyone on the high-school football bus, skipping class in the middle of the afternoon to pick up cherry slushes, hanging out on the cool side and spreading rumors about the oblivious fools on the other, debating if Betty Sue the carhop really goes as far as everyone says she does, wondering if this No. 1-hold-the-onions is really as good as those mythical Big Macs -- I thought this was a universal experience.

It really is a testament to the power of a good advertising campaign. That, and the tots. Always tots instead of fries.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Last time I went to KFC, I ordered on of those tender roast sandwiches. Well, I take off, get back to the office and there was no top bun. Just the bottom bun, chicken and a tomato. I was flabbergasted...even moreso than when that fucker from McDonald's took a bite of my pie.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

In that case Hank, the owners are planning on opening Sonic's in the following cities:

Flat Rock, Lincoln Park, Woodhaven, Monroe, Livonia, Garden City and some others that I've forgotten.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I don't drink restaurant sweet tea. It's just too inconsistent. As for Sonic in particular, I've been pondering sending this letter ...

Dear Sonic CEO:

Please know that you will not get one cent of my money until you take those fucking moronic commercials off the air. Trust me when I tell you that enticing me to throw a tire iron at my TV with those idiot characters is not the way to get me to come buy your food. I will hate you with every fiber of my being until you take those annoying pieces of toilet film and send them packing.

Sincerely, Novelist Wannabe

11. jps

jps Active Member

Agreed ... those burgers will do something unholy and unnatural to your innards.
    That said, coneys are worth the risk and don't seem to do the damage the burgers do. Fries are awful, but Tots are a good change-up there. Onion rings are the tops far as I'm concerned.
    Big fan of the drinks ... Route 44 will last all day at the office.
    (And Sonic sweet tea isn't real sweet tea, guys ... do we need to get into a sweet tea conversation again? Because I'm not afraid to get it going ... )

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You could not be more wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted