1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not going on the road

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Desk_dude, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Having spent two years covering baseball, it is one hell of an expense.

I'll bet these days we're going to see a lot of papers get selective about late-season road trips, especially if their team is out of the playoff race.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Who are you? How insulting.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Travel with a baseball team for a year and then you'll realize what a ridiculous amount of work it is and how tiring it is.

Until then, please STFU.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

This is absolute fucking garbage.

Are you Dean Singleton? Craig Dubow, perhaps?

5. jps

jps Active Member

nah. just clueless.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

After a week on the road, I was supposed to get off the road today (for a day). I was supposed to be home by mid-afternoon. My frazzled wife could hardly wait. I was going to get to see my baby girl. I can hardly wait.

I just had a flight delayed two hours. Missed my connecting flight. Can't get out of here until 9 p.m. That's five hours from now. By the time I make it home, everyone will be asleep.

But, at least I have a day off tomorrow -- until I'm back at it again.

And today wasn't my worst travel day of the past month. Not even close.

Man, am I spoiled.

7. jps

jps Active Member

yeah, but you'll be fine. I'll bet you stuffed some free soda and popcorn in your bag before you left the stadium.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

And you probably haven't been working all that hard anyway.

9. This reminds me of all the people who fumed when Jay Mariotti left the Sun-Times that they had, "Just sent him to China and now he quits!!"

Heard that on here and also from friends not in the business.

"He was working."
    "Are you going to tell me when you travel you don't have any fun at all?"

No explaining it to people who don't want to understand. Because, you know, there's nothing grander than that 50th trip to Detroit for a long-time baseball writer.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So why do you do what you do?

The hours suck, the people are a-holes, the pay is sub-par, the schedule unforgiving, the readership condescending and ungrateful, management is unappreciative. What's the upside?

11. Dude, it's a job. There's a reason they call it "work," not "adult recess." Obviously people are passionate about the work or else they wouldn't come to a message board to talk about it every day. People are proud of the work they do, and they should be. Work doesn't have to be a barrel of daily monkeys to be fulfilling. You were saying that it wasn't really work, and that's insulting.

"Now the nights are long
    The driving's tough
    Hotels stink, and the pay sucks
    But I can't dig what I do enough, so it never gets be down."

-- Todd Snider, "Ballad of the Devil's Backbone Tavern"

12. jps

jps Active Member

I thought we already discussed the free popcorn and soda.

Draft saved Draft deleted