1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NOT FUNNY -- TV reporter's meltdown

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoCalDude, Feb 14, 2011.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

No, no ... didn't mean to imply that it wasn't possible, but, statistically speaking, there's probably a cause other than a stroke considering her age. My medical sources -- and, granted, they only know what they've seen on the video -- tell me an epileptic episode is more likely the culprit here.

And my condolences to you, WolvEagle.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Damn, sorry to hear that, man.

I had a friend whose older brother had a stroke at 18.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

No offense taken. You're probably right, but a stroke is still possible. Any which way, I hope Serene gets the help she needs and I hope everything turns out OK.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Jessica Savitch.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Latest update on the second link said she got medical tests done today. Glad to hear that, as well as that she's OK.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

KCBS/2 yanked the video.
    Its health page, though, still has a story quoting a neurologist saying she should have been admitted to a hospital, not taken home after the emergency dudes finished with her.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That was my first thought, until I remembered that Savitch had a legit drug issue, while there is no indication or report that Branson has anything of the sort.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Savitch had about 100 different issues.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

My goodness that was painful to start watching. Had to turn it off quickly. Prayers go out to her, never good to see something like that.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

In the biggest classless move I have seen out of him (and I love him to death), Craig Ferguson made a joke about this on his show tonight...not too happy with the Scotsman right now. He did try to say it may have been adrenaline and he does it all the time on his show and made a joke about how she should just tell people she is Scottish, like him, and people will think it's cute.
    Still Craig, not funny.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

KCBS had a short follow up on Monday's 11 p.m. newscast saying Serene Branson was tested and doing better.
    The anchors then went on to say whatever the problem was is between Serene and her doctors and she will share the info if she chooses to.
    I love how a newscast that has no problem sticking a mike under the nose of an immigrant whose husband just died in a construction accident turns to the "she requests her privacy" card when it's one of its own.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What do you want them to do? Beat it out of her? She was asked. She declined to talk about it. Just like any other source.

Draft saved Draft deleted