1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NOT FUNNY -- TV reporter's meltdown

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoCalDude, Feb 14, 2011.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

This is not meant for humor because Serene Branson probably suffered a stroke on the air last night. She was outside the Grammy's and began talking gibberish. She is a veteran reporter who anchors sometimes on the weekends.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2011/02/concern_for_channel_2s_se.php

2. beanpole

beanpole Member

No stroke, according to the station. But bizarre.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/02/14/update-on-cbs2kcal9s-serene-branson/

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have not seen it, but has the word seizure been mentioned yet?

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

That was a little disturbing, if only because something like that could sneak up on anyone. So far, she's only been checked by paramedics. Not knocking EMTs, but I hope she has a more thorough check done soon.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed, jlee ... of course, it's already on YouTube with hints she was drunk. Gotta love Citizen Journalism.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If you are drunk; you slur your words. You don't babble like a 2-year-old

7. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Considering her youthful age, it's probably not a stroke. More likely, it's epileptic dysphasia or a similar episode. If that's the case, it's probably treatable. </gregoryhouse>

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Love the House reference.

One site mentions migraine headaches. If Serene is prone to migraines, this could be a side effect. Still, that's scary.

9. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Youth doesn't preclude a stroke. My wife suffered a stroke, hung on for a couple weeks and died. She was 42. It happened 2 1/2 years ago.

I'm not saying that's what did or didn't happen with Serene Branson. Still, it can happen if you're young.

10. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Being diabetic, once my blood sugar gets below 50, I ramble and become incoherent.

Happened after a high school game (switched my insulin intake by mistake) and luckily I recorded the interview as well as wrote it down. When I got back to the office, I couldn't make out any of my notes and fortunately the coach understood what I was trying to say.

Not sure the reporter in question is diabetic or has blood-sugar issues, but it's a possible explanation.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

AVN? (i.e., Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under)

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine had a stroke at 39. No family history of strokes, never smoked, was in good shape, ate well. She collapsed shortly after finishing a 5K. She went to the ER and they just assumed it was dehydration so they gave her fluids and sent her home. When she wasn't feeling well the next day and her vision was "funny" she went back to the hospital, where they ran more tests and discovered she'd had a stroke. She recovered almost fully, but lost some of her vision and she can never drive again.

Draft saved Draft deleted