1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not for the squeamish - Video of Saddam's hanging

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That video was far from squeamish. Though it was something else when the platform dropped. Interesting stuff.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Oh, yes, sir. That was disturbing. It was so disturbing I had to leave my seat and go get some fresh air.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I still get a little nauseous when I think of that video. I made the mistake of watching it -- I regret it, and don't recommend it. And I can't get the sound of that beheading out of my head ... and I don't think I ever will ...

This hanging ain't squeamish. The Nick Berg video ... holy fucking shit ... :-\ :-\ :-\

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It was too squeamish, dammit. But then I had nightmares for two weeks after seeing Monster, because of the (mostly off screen, mind you) violence. I have weak stomach or an overactive imagination (maybe both?).

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The sound of Berg breathing near the end of that video will remain with me for the rest of my life.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This one didn't make me squeamish at all. The other one did.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I've seen stuff in real life, up close and personal that makes the Berg video look like a cartoon.
    Just a tip, put some of that menthol rub on your upper lip and under your nose and that keeps you from smelling the worst smells. Doesn't do much for what you see, but it least it keeps you from throwing up. The smell is always what gets you.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No way we would run it ... but that's not to say we failed to watch it in the newsroom. Personally, I can only watch up to them putting the rope around his neck. I'm too squeamish for anything more than that.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Good heavens. Nobody had better Google "Budd Dwyer"...

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

buck, Dwyer affects me because I remember watching that one on the local news about 10 minutes after it happened ... getting my 5-year-old out of the room about 0.2 seconds before he pulled the trigger.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Makes perfect sense. I don't have the faintest recollection of Dwyer when it happened. Only reason I even know about him is because I got in a conversation with somebody about Christine Chubbuck and the video that has never surfaced of her. Budd's name was mentioned, and I looked up the video, and saw it then.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

To this day, I cannot believe Channel 27 in Harrisburg showed that on a snow day when all the kids were at home. They cut into "Webster" to show it. Parents who weren't in the room to shoo their kids out ... they had some f'd-up kids that day.

Draft saved Draft deleted