1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not for chugging: A 32% ABV beer!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by deskslave, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Hopslam=bomb.com

The biggest issue is that the hop aroma tends to fade quickly (some say they won't even drink it four weeks after bottling, but the ones I have were bottled in mid-January and still kick ass- I tend to think it holds on well for four to six months; the beer changes a bit but it's still damn tasty).

It's not cheap...lowest price around here is $12.99 a sixer, with the median price closer to $16 (the brewery, in Kalamazoo, MI, sells it for 16.99 a six, $60 a case). However, well worth it.

Michigan has been cranking out some killer brews the past few months. Founders out of Grand Rapids may be the best brewery in the nation, with a great lineup of regulars (Centennial IPA, Dirty Bastard Scottish Wee Heavy, Porter), tremendous seasonals (Double Trouble DIPA, Imperial Stout, Breakfast Stout, Kentucky Breakfast Stout (Bourbon-barrel aged Breakfast Stout)) and the recently released Nemesis (2009 version is a 12.9% wheatwine aged in maple bourbon barrels for about a year).

2. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I think my liver melted just from reading the link. I think I need me a Bastard.

[​IMG]

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The Double Bastard's a little better. More oomph. The Oak-aged one gives a whisky vibe too. But Stone rarely missteps (though I was disappointed with their Smoked Porter)

4. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I just think this is the most bad-ass name for a beer. That and it hits you like a mallet to the face.

5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I've been late to the Stone party- never really got into them. One of the local establishments had a Stone 13th Anniversary release day a few months back and I really dug that beer, especially on cask. Then, same place last month had a "Who's Your Bastard" Day with Stone (Arrogant Bastard and its offspring) and Founder's (Dirty Bastard and its offspring) products featured. That was a fun Tuesday night, which led to a not-quite-so-fun Wednesday at work.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

What's the big deal?

We've been able to buy three-two beer in Kansas and Oklahoma grocery stores fro years.

7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Free State Old Backus FTW!!! One of the tastiest brews I've had the pleasure to sample.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

They also made a Prairie Fire pepper beer that could make you fart smoke.

9. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I have yet to find a pepper style brew that I like. There was one several years ago I tried at Great Taste in Madison (maybe from New Albanian in Indiana????) that was pretty interesting but nothing I would drink more than a sample of. I have been told Founders here in MI is supposed to start bottling and distributing their pepper beer soon (called Spite Pepper Pale)- I'll have to at least give it a shot.

10. BRoth

BRoth Member

[​IMG]

Anyone ever try this? It sounds intriguing. It's also "on sale" at my local store for $8 for a 12 oz. bottle.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Do you like scotch? It's very smoky/peaty like scotch (not my favorite flavor to say the least). It's pretty good for what it is but it is far from being a great value IMO.

12. BRoth

BRoth Member

Thanks for your input. Unless someone says it blew them away, I'd much rather spend my $8 (plus a buck or two) on a six-pack of Raison D'Etre, which has the same ABV and tastes great.

Draft saved Draft deleted