1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not for chugging: A 32% ABV beer!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by deskslave, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes it does. I highly recommend it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Actually, that's just the 18.2 percent Tokyo*, previous criticism of which sparked them to come out with a low-alcohol beer called Nanny State.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Had one of those when I was in Montreal for the NHL Draft. Tasty but my limit is one....

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sprung for a four-pack. Day-um.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A couple years ago the brewers of Newport Storm made a 17 percent ABV brew specifically for St. Patrick's Day. They never sold it, but as me and my friends were friendly with those guys, we got invited to their pre-St. Patty's Day Parade party and got a chance to try it. Holy christ it was strong.

Took some getting used to, but overall a pretty solid brew. Don't think it ever could have been profitable for them (if it could have been, I'm sure it would be on the market), but it was tasty. Unfortunately, I believe it (along with extremely poor judgment) led to one of my friends getting a DUI that day. He never knew what hit him.

Fortunately for me, I got a ride.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yes. It will knock a few screws loose. That's it, I'm going to get some for a Christmas party next week.

7. BRoth

BRoth Member

2009 Sam Adams Utopias: http://www.uncrate.com/men/culture/drinks/sam-adams-utopias/

27% ABV, $150.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Bumping this thread to recommend that anyone who can get their hands on Southern Tier Choklat do so at once. Sweet, warm and chocolatey ... oh, and 11 percent APV. Not for the weak of willed.

9. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

That is a great beer, Meat! I've liked all the Southern Tier stuff.

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I find many Southern Tier brews (especially the Choklat and Creme Brulee) to be cloyingly sweet, in a chemically artificial way. I don't mind their UnEarthly and Gemini but as their stouts go I am not a fan, other than the Oat.

Drinking quite possibly my favorite beer in the world now, Bell's Hopslam. 10.8%, great grapefruity nose, kicks you in the teeth up front with the hops but loads of malt and honey dominate the finish. I can drink three or four of these a night. Great beer.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I don't mind the cloyingly sweet so much, because I have a sweet tooth, though I can see where it can be a bit much. The Mokah is a little better in that regard because the coffee cuts into it. And the Creme Brulee is a conversation starter more than a regular beer, I've found. But as much of a Southern Tier disciple as I am, my go-to stout is still Stone Russian Imperial.

Bell's Hopslam sounds pretty awesome. Something that sounds familiar, though I don't know having not had the beer you're talking about, is Lagunitas Brown Shugga. Not as sweet as you'd think, and it has a pretty grapefruity bouquet.

12. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Has anybody had the Hitachino Nest beers from Japan? Wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted