1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not for chugging: A 32% ABV beer!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by deskslave, Nov 27, 2009.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Called Tactical Nuclear Penguin.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8380412.stm

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Someone at New Belgium will try to re-create this.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

That this isn't Dogfish Head is the real upset.

4. BRoth

BRoth Member

Bingo.

Anyone else been trying their Neolithic series? I don't think I've ever had a complaint about anything they make.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Have not tried it yet. I'm a Southern Tier guy. My experience with Dogfish Head is either really awesome (Midas Touch, Raison D'Etre, Black and Blue, 90 Minute IPA, Theobroma), really bad (Festina Peche, 60 Minute IPA [go figure]) or really confusing (120 Minute IPA and Worldwide Stout, which felt like grape soda but tasted nothing like it).

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Samuel Adams Utopias, which went on sale in February 2002, claims to be the strongest commercial beer in the world, at 27% alcohol by volume.
    The beer is packaged in a copper-finished kettle designed to resemble those used in the brewing process and is considered by some to be more comparable to brandy, sherry, cognac or port than to other beers.
    Because of legal restrictions, Samuel Adams Utopias are not offered in the states of Alabama, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Washington, or West Virginia. A few of those states - most noteably Mississippi - are trying to lift the restrictions.

7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I've had the opportunity to sample Utopias a few times. Very tasty, but does resemble port or cognac more than beer.

Strangely, haven't had many DFH offerings but did enjoy Theobroma- very unique brew.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's an acquired and expensive taste.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I have one of these in my house and, yes, it is definitely like a brandy. It is also pretty darn good.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They sell liquor in all those states. Why couldn't they classify it as a liquor and sell it under those laws?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The last visit I made to Manchester we went to an ale festival and I tried this stuff called Old Fart. By the second pint I was feeling pretty good, and by the third I was plastered. That stuff had to be at least 15%. I'm glad we rode the bus.

12. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Paid nothing for my samples each time, other than festival entry fees. And the Theobroma was cracked by a casual friend who managed a liquor store when I stopped in for a visit.

No way would I drop $200 for a 750ml bottle of brew.

Draft saved Draft deleted