1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

not even hometown jaguars are interested in tebowing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think you could argue that the attention ESPN and other media outlets paid to Tebow during training camp hurt his standing with the Jets and could be part of the reason teams want nothing to do with him.

That said, the interest is there... just not at the level it was given during Training Camp. They spent more time at Jets camp over a backup QB than they did at Broncos camp with one of the greatest QBs of all-time on a new team.

2. Mizzougrad96

He did better than any of those guys, and he lost his job when his team signed a future Hall of Fame quarterback. The situation is just a little different.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I do think one reason the thought of Tebow with Belichick is so intriguing is because Smilin' Bill has a track record of adapting players to different uses. The problem is that Tebow's success as a runner came because he was a quarterback. If you just put him in the backfield from time to time, then it's bloody obvious he's going to run. If Tebow would be amenable to it, he would be a good enough athlete that Belichick might be able to get some use out of him somewhere.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm not sure whether he would have started this year had they not gotten Manning. Watching Elway during that Tebow run of success was hilarious, because it was clear he hated Tebow and did not want fans to think this would work. If he signed, say, John Skelton, fans would ask why the hell he wasn't playing a winner like Tebow, but signing Peyton Manning -- well, that shuts everyone up.

5. Mizzougrad96

Elway saw an out and it's worked out brilliantly for the Broncos. Calling for Tebow when Peyton Manning is having a MVP-caliber season makes you an idiot. Calling for Tebow when Mark Sanchez is throwing pick after pick is a fairly reasonable request.

I think if the Broncos hadn't signed Manning, Tebow would have been the starter. It's entirely possible that Tebow would have started 0-4 and that would have been the last we ever heard from him in the NFL.

As I've said several times... I want him to be given the chance to fail. If he does, fine... He wasn't given that chance with the Jets.

6. Mizzougrad96

As my starter? Hell no...

As a backup or a third-down back? If you have a starter who won't be looking over his shoulder at Tebow (Sanchez definitely was...), then why not?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Jacksonville has one of the worst QB situations currently in the NFL. And they won't take a chance on the hometown hero. Who will?

As for Jacksonville, they spent a No. 1 pick on a guy (Blaine Gabbert) two years ago that has underperformed and been injured and they can't decide whether to give up or not. And they've got a journeyman backup in Chad Henne, good enough to hold an NFL paycheck and that' about it. So either you determine you WILL get Gabbert to improve and go with him, or you're back at square one and start looking all over again.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty hilarious that Tebow gets part of the blame for Matt Sanchez sucking. Sanchez was deteriorating just fine on his own in 2011 without help from Tebow.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I don't see how you can blame Sanchez's play on Tebow. Any pro player worth his salt responds to a challenge by stepping up and showing why he should be there, not whining about some "distraction".

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Better opportunity might be backing up Cam Newton at Carolina. Is Tebow better than Derek Anderson and Jimmy Clausen?

11. doctorx

doctorx Member

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It depends what you want.

If you are looking for someone who has a similar skill set as the starter and can come in and play if the starter is hurt, then yes.

If, on the other hand, you are looking for someone who can do specific things that the starter cannot, then no. It's doubtful you would sub Tebow for Newton on third-and-short so Tebow can run a QB sneak or the option, which Newton could do just as well. Subbing Tebow for Ryan Tannehill or Brandon Weeden on third-and-short makes some sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted