1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

not even hometown jaguars are interested in tebowing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jan 10, 2013.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Kurt Warner is nowhere near the type of quarterback Tebow is. He's a dropback guy. Everyone can talk about tooling an offense to fit Tebow's skill set. They can rave about Washington's spread option. They can rave about the Wildcat. But defenses catch up to that shit and as we've seen, Shanahan's beloved spread could well result in RG having about a 3-4 year career. The only type of quarterback that has endured through eras is the dropback passer with a strong arm. Everything else has merely been a temporary gimmick.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Basically, what happened with the Broncos in 2011 is that teams weren't prepared for Tebow, who unlike Orton could be a very effective runner. Plus, all sorts of breaks bounced their way on special teams and defense during that stretch. Once teams figured Tebow out, it was game over -- except for that playoff game, where to the Broncos' credit, they took advantage of Pittsburgh's propensity to way overplay Tebow running. But I just don't see how a 47 percent passer who can't hit an outside route is sustainable at quarterback. Plus, the running skills can disappear in a hurry when Tebow takes enough shots to his knees.

And all this for the price of massive media and megachurch attention, asking why you're not playing their boy.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The scores of Tebow's four losses in his last five starts in 2011: 41-23, 40-14, 7-3, 45-10.
    But please, tell me more about how he finishes.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Excellent work, Hondo. Lining up a quarterback's losses makes him look very poor.

They won four games in a row that they were losing at the two-minute warning. I am not sure if any other team has ever done that.

You are joining the group that is misinterpreting "give him a chance" into "Tim Tebow is the greatest EVAH!"

He is easily worthy of competing for 10 starting spots in the league and good enough to be a backup for just about anyone.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I will say this for Tebow -- part of the threat he had on those two-minute drills was his ability to run, so you couldn't necessarily back everyone up in a prevent or deep man-to-man defense. On the other hand, particular in the Bears game, Prater hit a few long-ass field goals that bailed him out.

But it gets back to my argument about sustainability -- sure, Tebow won four straight two-minute games, but can you count on that happening? It's the same reason why I think Andrew Luck and the Colts will take a step back in their record next year, because all their numbers (except their ability not to shit the bed in the two-minute drill while other teams did) don't signal an 11-5 team.

In the end, though, I think what makes GMs really back off, beyond his ability or lack thereof, is the distraction level he brings. Maybe what Canada can do is not only give him a chance to play (or not play, I guess, if the Blue Bombers think he sucks, too), and dull some of the hype once he returns. Because at least by then, he'll have been "given his chance."

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bob, I think your last paragraph is where it ends up, except JR has shown conclusively that Tebow could never be as good as Henry Burriss was in the CFL.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know that you can "count on" anything with Tebow other than the media and fan attention.

But he would seem to be a better option than the majority of NFL backups and could be a decent third-down back.

If he doesn't get another chance in the NFL because he's not good enough, fine... If he doesn't get another chance because he's Tim Tebow, then that would be unfortunate, and I think that's a bit of what happened with the Jets and is a bit of the reason why teams want nothing to do with him.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Has anybody floated the idea of Tebow being RGIII's backup in Washington?

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think the issue there would be that you would have two vulnerable QBs, not just one. I get the advantages of having two guys who could fit into the same system. But I'm just pointing out the potential disadvantage.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Only if he's better than Kirk Cousins. Which he is not.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Probably. Might get a start as an emergency QB if someone is injured. Hey, if Joe Webb can start, why not?

I do hope that ESPN and certain other media outlets will tone down the coverage a bit. They don't do all this for other backup QBs.

12. None of the others are Tim Tebow.

Draft saved Draft deleted