1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not cleaning up quotes: racist?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The larger story here is how that one line was between out of proportion to make his speech swarm like a rebuke our infighting with a key electoral ally when it was actually an impassioned and well received rallying cry when taken in context.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

"well-received?"

By whom?

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I believe those explanations and don't think the AP was being racist at all. But I agree with POO, that if the president was directly speaking that way to make a point, that should be mentioned.

Tone can be interpreted, why can't something like this?

4. Point of Order

The audience that have him resounding applause during and at the conclusion of the speech.

5. Point of Order

Okay, my swipe typing on this new phone is making me look really stupid and incomprehensible.

6. imjustagirl

I listen to a lot of urban radio stations here in Atlanta, and a guy I went to college with is one of those guys who shows up on things like CNN to discuss black issues.

They were all offended and said it was cheap and you wouldn't see him go to a gay and lesbian meeting and tell them to stop complaining. He wouldn't speak to a Jewish group and say "stop complaining."

It was not a good move for him, and plenty of people are very displeased with it.

7. Point of Order

I'm just telling you that many of the audience in the room that heard the speech reacted by applauding; none were heard booing. Perhaps many of the radio station callers only heard what went through the cable news filter and were offended hearing it out of context of the rest of the speech. Did they hear the whole speech? Did they hear two minutes worth of context? Or did they hear the 5 second version?

Regardless, the speech seemed well-received in the room. But maybe it was mixed.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This was the AP writer's explanation. Doesn't bother me at all.

9. imjustagirl

Yep, the guy who is considered a "black scholar" listened to a five-second snippet.

10. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Did the words end with "-ing" or "-in'" in the advance copy of the president's remarks that are usually distributed to the White House press corps? Might be the deciding factor. Or, rather, the decidin' factor.

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I can live with the speaker's intent dictating the spelling, as long as every Sarah Palin quote is transcribed in "folksy."

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

All due respect, your classmate makes a very weak argument.

The president is an African-American making remarks to a group of other African-Americans.

If a president were gay, and made frank statements to a gay advocacy group; or was Jewish and told the ADL to stop complaining; or was Catholic, or single, or Baptist, or Alaskan and made frank statements to those groups about what it means to be a member of those groups - no one would blink.

If Gov. Perry twanged his way through a speech to other Texans about how Texans need to grab their bootstraps and help themselves, nobody would say a word.

Draft saved Draft deleted