1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"... not because they are easy, but because they are hard ..."

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Oct 26, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You're 32 and you have recollection of a 1962 speech?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

No, which was exactly my point. I said I don't recall.

3. fishwrapper

So, here you recall?

Here you don't have a recollection of your recall.
    Wow. Non sequiturs of grand proportion.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Jesus, man, I said I don't recall a president ever having done such a thing in reference to JFK. Then you mentioned how I ignored the New Deal, of which clearly I wouldn't have any recollection, because it came way before him.

5. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Americans desperately want a Kennedy-type leader. You people are members of the corporate media who complain about what they don't have but want take a bold stand. The media loves a "scandal" story and leans heavily to the sides of the corporate lapdogs -- Hillary, Rudi.

That's why leaders like Bill Richardson and Mike Huckabee have no chance.

I disagree with anyone saying Americans don't want true leadership. The majority of Americans want serious debates over immigration reform, the pending health care and entitlement crisis. Unfortunately, the corporate media makes money on Rudy roots for Red Sox and Hillary has a Birthday party.

6. fishwrapper

"Corporate media."
    One of those ubiquitous, purposely enigmatic terms.

7. Sorensen, I think.
    And his successor said, in 1965, into the teeth of the storm:

"There is no issue of state's rights or national rights. There is only the struggle for human rights. I have not the slightest doubt what will be your answer. But the last time a President sent a civil rights bill to the Congress it contained a provision to protect voting rights in Federal elections. That civil rights bill was passed after eight long months of debate. And when that bill came to my desk from the Congress for signature, the heart of the voting provision had been eliminated.
    This time, on this issue, there must be no delay, or no hesitation, or no compromise with our purpose. We cannot, we must not, refuse to protect the right of every American to vote in every election that he may desire to participate in.
    And we ought not, and we cannot, and we must not wait another eight months before we get a bill. We have already waited 100 years and more and the time for waiting is gone. So I ask you to join me in working long hours and nights and weekends, if necessary, to pass this bill. And I don't make that request lightly, for, from the window where I sit, with the problems of our country, I recognize that from outside this chamber is the outraged conscience of a nation, the grave concern of many nations and the harsh judgment of history on our acts.
    But even if we pass this bill the battle will not be over. What happened in Selma is part of a far larger movement which reaches into every section and state of America. It is the effort of American Negroes to secure for themselves the full blessings of American life. Their cause must be our cause too. Because it's not just Negroes, but really it's all of us, who must overcome the crippling legacy of bigotry and injustice.
    And we shall overcome."

Goddamn you and your fucking war, Lyndon. You really had a shot.

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

That surprises me. It's a pretty famous speech. I think it was even featured in The Right Stuff.
    I'm not American, but I would have thought things like that would be in the curriculum at some point in the education process.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This guy still stands for something

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

The decline of our nation can be traced to the fact that Rice no longer plays Texas.

Draft saved Draft deleted