1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not ashamed to admit it: Jim Rome's radio show is funny

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Jul 13, 2006.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I dug Jim Rome when he was young and annoying on ESPN2. My favorite Jim Rome bits are his take on "Cops" (the TV show) and his PETA bit, where he rips on PETA for wanting to boycott Nike because of an old Nike commercial in which John Randle chases around a chicken in a Brett Favre jersey. "We eat chickens, they don't eat us. We're at the top of the food chain, chickens are at the bottom. Deal with it."

Those pauses, btw, are him eating breakfast while he's on the air.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I've heard him a few times. He sounds like an old guy trying to use kids' slang. Then he goes off on some goofy "take" that really just isn't funny.

Sorry, to each his/her own, but can't deal with the guy.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the jungle.

Hey Danica.

Win something before you leave open wheel.

You are going to get bumped from behind more times than Jenna Jameson in NASCAR.

Win something. Then go to NASCAR.

It just took me three minutes to say five sentences.

I rule.

Let's take a call. Schweaty Balls from Sactown, you're on the air.

OK, Romey, Danica's turning into the A.C. Green of open wheel racing -- last to the finish line. And while we're on the subject, what's the deal with Eva Longoria dating a Frenchman? Hey, Eva, you slut, did you go after Tony just because you knew it would be easy to score? OK, Romey, that's all I've got time for. I'm out!

That was some terrible smack.

What's going on out there in NoCal?

You guys are going to have cpme with better smack than that.

I don't have many other thoughts in my head, but we've got two hours to go here.

Maybe I'll pause longer between sentences.

::)

4. Be ashamed.
    Go ahead.
    We'll wait.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That could very easily be a verbatim transcript from about 100 different shows of his I've heard. Un-funny smack, gimmicky e-mail signatures, fat white guys with no social life throwing around ghetto slang and a goateed host who apparently gets paid by the American Silence Association to promote dead air.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

At first, I followed the pattern that Rome asks new listeners to follow: you will hate me at first, but give it two weeks and it grows on you.

And he was right. After two weeks (of course it helped he had no competition), I was hooked. I was a devoted listener for maybe a year or two.

But the longer you listen, the more he does the same shit over and over and over and over again. It's the same trap morning talk shows like Stern run into, they never seem to evolve from the initial shit that got you interested to begin with. The masturbatory "pimp in the box" crap was always annoying, but why do I need to hear an Orenthal "take" 12 years after the fact?

I actually think the off-balance fanboy calls are still kind of funny in the rare times I happen upon the show now, I almost got into a car accident once when a Bills fan came on to rip cartoonish Jets fans who drank out of Abdul Salaam's protective cup or something, but those calls are few and far between. Most suck Rome's dick.

The interviews are absolutely painful. I don't care about his shit with J Stew, etc. And the lingo that supposedly made Rome cutting edge is unintentionally pathetic now.

It's passe.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not ashamed to admit it: You're wrong.
    The guy is awful.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

The interviews are the only part of the show where it doesn't seem like an alum performing at a frat house.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Late.

(Sorry couldn't resist. What the fuck does "late" mean in that context anyway?)

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I like his rants to fans NOT to insult coaches' or players' physical defects. Today he was saying he didn't want to receive any e-mail calling Sam Cassell "E.T."

First of all, there is, was and always shall be only one E.T., and that was that rat bastard Willie McGee.

Second, who the fuck cares? I'm tempted to send him 675 e-mails calling Sam Cassell E.T.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Mizzou, Rome was patting himself on the back on Tuesday when the President of Premier stopped by for a live interview to annouce that Rome is staying on radio with Premier/Clear Channel for (I believe) 5 more years.

I can ignore his ripping on Ferentz for politely declining to be on his show, I can also forgive his long-running sophomoric passion for the Clones. I'll take Rome over Dan Patrick every day of the week. At least with Rome, what we see is what we get: he'll talk about anyone, including his favorite people (Hudler, Bernard Hopkins) if they need to be called out. Patrick, to me, would talk about someone critically, then if they show up, he tries to be blunt with them, only to have egg on his face, because he's doesn't want them to hate him.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That was pretty good, but you forgot to repeat yourself.

Repeat yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted