1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not ashamed to admit it: Jim Rome's radio show is funny

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like the guy. I usually turn the channel when the callers start. I definitely prefer the emails...

Since TK's show is a lame duck at XM (he's quitting when the MNF gig starts), I think Rome is the runaway best sports talk show on the radio.

My guilty pleasure is Scott Ferrall. Guy cracks me up and I'm a Bay Area guy so I've listened to him forever...

I keep hearing that Rome is moving to Sirius when his contract is up. I don't know if there's any truth to it...

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Haven't listened to him on radio in years, but the "Dru-dr-dr-dru-dru . . . drug test!" soundbite and the letters signed "Orenthal" were usually good for chuckles.

The biggest problem with the show was that all of the callers tried to emulate hiim.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The worst part of Rome's show is definitely the callers...

4. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Couldn't we say that about all radio shows?

5. Song Seven

Song Seven Member

i love listening to rome, the callers especially because you never know what kind of shit you're going to hear. i heard live the guy who called the score of the u-m/osu game as "27 buckeyes, 27 wolverines from ann arbor." i hadn't laughed so hard in a long time.

i guess you just have to understand or find humorous the way rome perceives things, because that's basically what it comes down to. he's a character.

6. true...the best part is the dead-air. Caliendo does a great bit about this

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

well, no. most of the hosts are pretty awful.

8. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Rome has a couple bright spots once in a while with the e-mailers.

I find myself agreeing more strongly with the notorious AF's other point -- Cowherd is ridiculous and so intellectually dishonest that he's unintentionally hilarious. At the start of World Cup he went into a crazy diatribe about why America doesn't like soccer contrasting us against the cultures of other countries -- such as SOUTH AMERICA -- getting into differences in banking schemes, childbirth ... it was a tour de force of the ridiculous, except he meant every word. He finally rambled into some rant about F-1 and said, "In America, we don't like CAR RACING! ...... " And they quickly went to commercial without another word.

9. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

I hate to say it, but I like him too. I think the Jim Everett stuff was a long time ago. He's still a clown sometimes, but he's not nearly that much of a punk anymore.

10. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I've had coaches go on with Rome in the past and it always ends up being a great interview because he lets you get your side of the story out in great detail. With his audience, you can change public perception of a problem pretty quickly.

11. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

i do like how some of these yahoo emailers sign their love notes to jim. it's probably just me, but i find them funny.

and i guess his delivery is one of those 'to each his own.'

i last heard him months ago when he had jeter on, talking about bonds and steroids. right around the world baseball classic. it was a solid interview - rome seems to land good gets.

im a bit surprised to see this ben roethlisberger get, but he beat out a shitload of people for that one.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Rome's "Year in Review" shows are definitrely worth listening to.

No callers. Just an exhausting, day-by-day look at all the weird shit that happened the previous year.

Listen to someone reading lyrics to a rap song like they were presenting a soliloquy on "Masterpiece Theater." The absurdity is, as you say, dead-on perfect.

Draft saved Draft deleted