1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not again -- Gunman reportedly on Virginia Tech campus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Aug 4, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Breaking on CNN

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2011/aug/04/gunman-reported-virginia-tech-campus-ar-1217742/

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah. Was outside Dietrick, the dining hall just across the way from the dorm I lived in freshman year (Pritchard). Last seen walking toward the volleyball courts between Pritchard and Lee.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Sounds like it could be a false alarm. Let's hope so. Glad they got the word out quickly.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

CNN anchor to editor of student paper on the phone: "And where were you the last time this happened."
    Student: "I was a junior in high school."

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

After the previous Va. Tech shooting, there was a gun scare at UC Irvine. They locked down everything on that side of the city. It turned out to be a student walking from his dorm to the parking lot, wearing camouflage and carrying a rifle. He was going to play paintball.
    But I'm glad the security people acted as they did.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Does Tech have security cameras?

Tough thing is, there needs to be a point where you have to let people go on with their lives. Do they have a set up where an "all clear" can be issued?

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Another fine graduate of the Columbia School of Broadcasting.Not affliliated with CBS or Columbia University

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, there are cameras, but it's a huge campus. Tough to keep an eye on everything at all times.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No, but if the teens that spotted him can give the police the time and location they saw the gunman, the system should be archived so they can pull an image of the suspect to verify the gun and where the person was going.

My schools have archives that go back two weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted