1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not a sports job, but ...

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by billpitcher, Apr 24, 2007.

1. billpitcher

billpitcher New Member

... I had great results here when I was hiring a sports editor while at another paper two years ago. And if people here aren't interested (I'm sure I'm not the only food guy who started in sports), no doubt you know some folks who might be.

FOOD CRITIC, THE RECORD

The Record in northern New Jersey is seeking a full-time food critic to be our readers’ eyes and ears on the food and dining scene in our 93 towns and the rest of North Jersey.

Your most visible role will be as our primary restaurant critic, writing one review each week, but you’ll also help readers stay informed about openings, closings, staff changes, milestones and special events. You’ll also have the opportunity to write, opine and blog about trends and food news, as well as contribute stories to our newly revamped features section, which will feature food every day.

We’re not necessarily looking for a chef or a lifelong restaurant critic, but you need to have some experience in food service and reviewing. Given the pace at which you’ll be writing, a newspaper background would be helpful.

Please send a resume, and a half-dozen samples of your writing and reviewing to Bill Pitcher, food editor, The Record, 150 River St., Hackensack, NJ 07601, or e-mail pitcher@northjersey.com.

2. turnovers

turnovers Member

Sports writers should, however, know plenty about food.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Bill,
    Is this a relatively new job for you?
    Hope you are doing well.

4. billpitcher

billpitcher New Member

At the end of June, it'll have been a year back at The Record. I left the other newspaper after a year, a month and a day.

Lesson learned: Never, ever go to work for a friend. Particularly one with a weak work ethic, no backbone, no sense of ethics and prone to little white lies. He'll hide in his office and delegate, only work one weekend a year, let the advertising department rob the newsroom of its credibility, get credentials to events he has no plans to cover, and then lie when you call him on it.

It's a shame, too, because the general manager is a good guy, and the company was serious about spending money to turn the place around. But other than the sports department (its staff, most of which is new, has been intact for 18 months), the rest of the newsroom has remained a revolving door. Of the news reporters there now, 10 months later, only one was hired by me.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

So, what you're saying is, you're a friend short these days? That sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted