1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not a good week for Mike McQueary

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 6, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

ESPN Mag's Don Van Natta Jr. writes a 7,000-word profile on the Penn State "whistleblower" (headline word).

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/10542793/the-whistleblower-last-stand

McQueary didn't talk. But Van Natta found out about a team meeting in November 2011 in which he told the team he had been sexually abused growing up. This led to some questions about whether Van Natta crossed a line, Caleb Hannan style.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/03/04/did-espn-cross-an-ethical-line-outing-mike-mcqueary-as-a-child-sexual-abuse-victim/

Story also discusses how, during the time he was Penn State's starting quarterback, McQueary had a serious gambling problem that left him thousands of dollars in debt, a debt that his father eventually settled. But this led to a gambling website finding a 1995 game in which Penn State, favored by 20 points and leading Rutgers by 18 with a minute left, threw a very un-Paterno-like touchdown pass on play-action from the 42-yard line. This was just after McQueary entered the game, and it led to harsh words between Paterno and the Rutgers coach.

http://www.bettingtalk.com/controversial-ending-penn-state-football-game-revisited-mcqueary-gambling-report/

It must be a whiteout in that snow globe today.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

LOL to The Big Lead wondering if someone's got ethical issues.

BLOGS!!! USA TODAY!!!!!

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

“We recognize the extremely sensitive nature of this topic and had extensive discussions about our approach in advance of publishing. Ultimately, Mike McQueary’s revelation to a number of people is a relevant piece of information in a thoroughly-reported story. Mike McQueary was aware that we had been told the details of his revelation. Given that he is a central figure in the upcoming trial of Penn State officials and his own whistleblower lawsuit, a big focus is on what he saw, what he said and who he said it to. As a result, we carefully considered that if he was a victim of sexual abuse, that may have affected how he processed what he saw and what his reaction and statements were in the aftermath.”

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure what the most hilarious part of the 1995 Penn State-Rutgers video is.

McQ throwing a TD to try and save his ass.

Paterno and the Rutgers coach snapping at each other. JoePa could have just said, "Look, I have no idea what's going on. I'm just a figurehead. Talk to my son."

Some scrub for Rutgers with the last name "Mike-Mayer" in the post-game handshakes. The son of one of my 1978 Topps cards, I assume.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The big question: Nick or Steve?

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it was Nick.

Didn't even know there was a Steve.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

As for McQueary, I'm not disputing his story. I'm just puzzled why he (or anyone) decides to bring it up decades later.

Draft saved Draft deleted