1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not a good start to Dana Holgorsen era at WVU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 25, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Stewart and Holgorsen are going to settle this at high noon today with dueling banjos.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Don't know if it still exists, but there was a WVU bloc called We Must Ignite This Couch.

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

It may not end well, but I'm not convinced it will be costly. Based on what I've heard, Stewart could be terminated for cause pretty soon. I would imagine that would come with one hell of a gag order.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mike Leach to West Virginia

5. Ruh-ro Uncle Billie!

Colin Dunlap spills the beans on KDKA ...

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/audio-stewart-asked-reporter-to-smear-holgorsen-29742

6. Mizzougrad96

Wow. I'm surprised it took this long for this to come out.

7. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

I'm not sure I would have gone on the radio to tell everyone about what Stewart asked me in a phone conversation 7 months ago.

If it's worthy of talking about now, it was worthy of the West Virginia football beat writer to mention in a story at the time of the phone call. If it was off-limits then, it should be off-limits now. Or at the very least, he should be telling the AD about it to help the school's investigation.

If the writer was still working at the P-G and would possibly have to face Stewart in a professional setting this season, would he be talking about that phone call?

8. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

I was asked a question, I answered it truthfully. That is it, really. And, to be quite honest, no one had ever asked me anything that would yield that answer until last night. As we were talking, the other person doing the show (for a station at which I also work) asked if -- a big IF -- I would be shocked if Stewart was behind the current Holgorsen character assassination, which has been largely disproven. At that time, I answered, truthfully, that there had been something akin to that in the past ---- the incident in which Stewart called me and at least one other reporter in December.
    Again, I was asked a question, answered it truthfully. That's it.

Let us not mischaracterize this. I didn't seek out an audience, nor was this scripted and I didn't go "on radio to tell everyone about what Stewart asked me in a phone conversation 7 months ago."
    I was asked a question. It was answered, truthfully. You want to fault me for the truth, OK.

9. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

But does the West Virginia beat writer have to be specifically asked a question to report information?

When you worked for the P-G, why didn't you do a story about this? If it was an off the record conversation when you were a reporter, why didn't it stay an off the record conversation?

10. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

If you were still on the beat, would you have answered the question truthfully on the radio, knowing you would (maybe) have to face Stewart this season and deal with him regularly?

And when you were on the beat and received that call from Stewart, why didn't you write about it then? Don't you think that would have been a pretty good story, that the current coach was asking you to dig up dirt on the coach-in-waiting?

11. Mizzougrad96

I think it's great that you were truthful about it. I just wonder if your paper would have preferred it come out in print rather than on the radio.

Either way, I think it's great.

12. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

His former paper, which I think is key to this ever coming out at all. I would hope his former paper would not be happy about their beat writer (at the time) sitting on a very juicy story and it not coming out until he's long gone and on the radio somewhere.

And Colin, spare me the "You want to fault me for the truth, OK" woe-is-me show. You know that's not what this is about.

Draft saved Draft deleted