1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not a DB: Oil rig explodes in Gulf of Mexico

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

2500 feet of water.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=13089364

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's it. I'm done. I'm going to sell my car.

I'll purchase something like this so I can still operate my business.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll have to get in better shape & drastically reduce my service area, but it's worth it if we can reduce our usage of fossil fuels.

We all have to do our part.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Uh, if something is on fire there is an environmental impact.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

What the fuck are you even talking about? I know it's typical YF snark, but I don't even get what you're trying to be condescending about.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Reports on the depth remain conflicting but even on the high end, it's half as shallow as Horizon. Also, owned by a small company. Also, not producing anything.

Everyone chill.

6. vicd

vicd Active Member

By ALAN SAYRE, Associated Press Writer Alan Sayre, Associated Press Writer – 1 min ago

NEW ORLEANS, La. – The Coast Guard is saying that a mile-long oil sheen is spreading from the site off an offshore petroleum platform that exploded in the Gulf of Mexico off Louisiana.

7. YankeeFan

Half of this site is snark. Why does mine upset you so?

It's just that the way some people react to the messy process of producing energy seems disengenious to me.

If you drive a car or heat and/or cool your home, you're part of the problem.

It's like finding out how the sausage is made. Yeah, it's messy.

But no other means of producing energy is cheap enough or productive enough to replace fossil fuels.

So please stop acting like you're (not you personally, the greater "you") against oil drilling. You're dependent on it.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

I smell conspiracy.

I also wonder with the number of oil platforms out there, is the rate of explosions similar to plane crash ratios?

And of the inevitable cries to stop fossil fuel production? How about tougher safety inspections on these facilities? It's a strategy of throwing out the baby with the bath water.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

The other half is spewing piss at sportsjournalists.com. :)

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Shit like this should not simply be chalked up as "the messy process of producing energy." It's a problem and it should be fixed.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That goes against the GOP Big Oil platform. These things didn't start breaking down in the last 18 months. They deteriorate over time.

12. YankeeFan

I agree.

But it shouldn't be used as a political football to try and stop off shore drilling either.

And like most issues, we've got plenty of laws & regulations on the books. We just need to enforce them.

Draft saved Draft deleted