1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not a close shave in this softball game...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Mar 29, 2007.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

After resorting to station-to-station running, there's nothing you can do in baseball/softball. You can hold the ball in basketbal and run a offense two or three times before taking a shot. In football, you keep it between the tackles, but since there's no clock in softball/baseball, there's nothing team A can do if team B sucks that bad. Now, if team A's coach was still stealing after the first dozen or so runs came across, then that's in bad taste.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

There are those who say if you have to tell the kids to strike out on purpose or run into outs, that's what you do.
    I'm not one of those people, but I'm not on Starman's side of the spectrum on this issue, either.

3. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

That's exactly what you do. There is no need to run up the score like that. None. It serves no purpose for either team.

Although if I am the coach of the losing team I don't leave my kids out there either. I agree to end it.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

According to the story, though, they had to play five innings for it to be an official game in the eyes of state rule. Since it was a league game, there is no way they were going to stop. Though I guess Franklin could have just forfeited.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

You do not tell kids to strike out, take a knee (until the number of downs played will take care of the clock), miss a shot, etc. on purpose. That's almost more embarassing than what's already taken place. I think it took a score like this to put in a better slaughter rule. Hopefully, other states will adopt this rule.

Draft saved Draft deleted