1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not a bad column on Belichick

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nothing exactly new, but I like its use of history, anecdotes and analysis. Nice spin on stuff that's been lying around for awhile.
  2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

It was originally published in ESPN The Magazine, therefore it's not exactly new.

Still, not bad. I believe there was an E-Ticket story on the .com that peeled away a few layers of the onion, too. Nice insight.
  3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not a bad story . Shows another side to Belichick. He does a lot of good things for people. The article mentioned a few but not all.

Bill has been helping a former secretary with The Giants -- Sharon Shenocca get back on her feet after her husband dumped her. She has two kids and was having trouble making ends meet. Bill would send her money and also helped her buy a Brownstone in Brooklyn.
  4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That wasn't the one he was pumping

for information?
  5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I was about to have a stroke over somebody thinking this was a "nice spin," until I saw Boom 70's response. Thank you, sir or madam, for restoring my faith.
    This piece is an example of one of the things I hate about our business. Bill Belichick cannot just be a great football coach who is also a seriously messed up asshole of a human being. There HAS to be some sort of "other side," and an explanatory rationale. Social Darwinism????? I kept envisioning that part of the piece narrated by Cliff Clavin from his barstool at "Cheers."
    I don't think Social Darwinism vs. Muscular Christianity explains very much about Belichick. I also wonder how familiar with football the writer really is - at one point, there's something about Brady having rarely been "tackled" this season before the season finale ... I kind of think the writer meant "sacked." And in the print version, Steve Belichick is identified as a Navy "scout" rather than longtime assistant coach. Somebody cleaned that up for online.
    The depressing thing is, we're going to read boatloads of this kind of crap for the next month and there's nothing we can do about it.
  6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thanks BP - glad someone else had same reaction to story. Alma usually see's through this type of hooey. His antenna must be on the fritz.
  7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

At the Mouse, pandering for access trumps EVERYTHING.
  8. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Yeah, I read it in The Magazine last week. I'm not sure what I think about it. Did it give me more insight to this guy or was it making excuses for him?
Draft saved Draft deleted