1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nostradamus: 2012 (or Running End-of-the-World Thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I worked at a Golf course during summers when I was in high school. would listen to the weather report every day heading into work, it was the strangest thing, that if they said there was a 40 per cent chance of rain that day I was guaranteed to see rain even if it was just a little bit. Didn't work for any other number. And it held through for a couple of summers.

EDIT: if I was a weatherman, I think I would be a complete ass about it. Instead of giving general estimates on chances of precipitation, I would give exact number like "there is a 32.4 per cent chance of rain today." What, is the public going to call me out on that? We could be the most precise weather news around.

2. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Well, I'd figure you liberals would hold him up as Socrates....

[​IMG]

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Actual Mayans say there's nothing to worry about in 2012 ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091011/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_mexico_apocalypse2012

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Of course they'd say that...

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I rather enjoy the fact that they blame nervous nelly Christians in Western nations for the fuss. I'm a church-goer but all these people who believed in Harmonic Convergence and Y2K and now 2012 need to just stay home and draw the curtains. Or get a life.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. slytiger

slytiger Member

James Randi is always a good read if you are ever tempted by charlatans claiming to know the future.

http://www.skepdic.com/nostrada.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0879758309/

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Never mind. We'll bring this back up in 2220.<blockquote>Thought, for what little 2012-prophets know is that the GMT-correlation over the past ten years under heavy fire has come to be examined by modern astronomers, archaeologists and a few hobby using mathematical. The final blow was arguably the thesis that nature scientist Andreas Fuls three years ago doctorate at the Technical University Berlin. Fuls pointed out that the GMT-correlation not consistent with a preserved Mayan table on which the positions of Venus are listed. And so there is more, such as inscriptions and objects in time of Goodman, Martinez and Thompson were not detected or outdated. By adding to it all, comes from a very different Fuls dating: one that 208 years has shifted. The end of the long count by the correlation is only about two centuries, at 21, 22 or December 23, 2220. "It is the only option," says Fuls if you ask him about it.</blockquote>Shaky Google translation here of the original Dutch article.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Streiber's "Warday" (with James Kunetka) was truly haunting, and very believable. I am still a little surprised it was never made into a "Children of Men"-style movie.

Shortly after co-writing "Warday," Streiber set sail for Bizarro World.

[​IMG]

10. KG

KG Active Member

Well this pisses me off. I thought my debt wasn't a big deal, because we were all going to spontaneously die in a few years. Now they are telling me I'm stuck with it? Screw that. ;)

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I enjoyed "Warday" and the follow-up "Nature's End," then said WTF after that. I guess I got Strieber and Kunetka confused with Niven and Pournelle.

Draft saved Draft deleted